cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 REST function for instance/appliance heath

simon.furber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, so does anyone know if there is an ADM or MNT REST call that can return the status good or bad on the hosts in the cluster? There is an inventory and version one but this doesn't give status.

So this arises from wanting to poll the REST API periodically to make sure it's up and having a search result of some meaningful health status would be useful than just polling some arbitrary element to check REST. We had REST stop recently without warning and went 12 hours unnoticed and was only fixed by a reboot hence the desire to check.

Thanks All

2 Replies 2

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I don't know of a particular status REST call, but if you are just worried about REST stopping to function why don't you just make periodic REST calls from a monitoring tool?  Any modern network management system can do SSL calls and look for particular data in return.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I hear what you're saying - it would be handy to be able to retrieve the contents of the "show application status ise" via a REST call and interpret the results (XML/JSON).  failing that, you may have to ssh into each node and screen scrape the show command like we did back in the 80's :-(

I use REST API calls to make the F5 Load Balancer check which PAN is the active one (to inform the F5 GTM to set the DNS authoritatively) - but it's not a health check in any sense.  If the REST API call itself fails, then the application that is making the call needs to handle that error condition.

PRTG can perform these kinds of rudimentary health checks for free but it doesn't go into the level of "application status ise".  And since we don't get access to the Linux OS,  we cannot check the status of the Linux processes running in ISE.

You could try SNMP GET like we did back in the 70's ;-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: