cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 Scheduled Backup not starting

zshelefka
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to create a scheduled backup for ISE, it worked for about 2 months backing up successfully once a week. Then it just stopped backing up, the backup is not failing, just not starting at all. When I rescheduled the backup, the backups will not start either. I am new to ISE, so I am not sure where to look to solve this issue. Any help would be great. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had the same thing after upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4

In my case, the GUI says "End Date = null" - and despite this bug, it still made backups for a few days and then gave up for no reason.  I can still do manual config backups.  TAC investigating this - no root cause found so far.  The TAC quoted this bug ID:  CSCvh84275

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

anthonylofreso
Level 4
Level 4

Are you able to backup by clicking "Backup Now" on the Administration > System > Backup  & Restore page?

shinnie1978
Level 1
Level 1

I encountered similar issues post upgrade to 2.4, we had a working scheduled backup prior to the upgrade but scheduled backups failed to run after the upgrade.  We have been unable to run manual backups of the configuration from GUI or CLI but are able to backup the ops/monitoring data.  Currently working with Cisco TAC to troubleshoot the issue but suspect a database lock.

Does your issue sound similar to the above.

I had the same thing after upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4

In my case, the GUI says "End Date = null" - and despite this bug, it still made backups for a few days and then gave up for no reason.  I can still do manual config backups.  TAC investigating this - no root cause found so far.  The TAC quoted this bug ID:  CSCvh84275

Thanks for the info will follow-up with TAC as in my case I am unable to run a manual backup, they stall at 45%, appear to restart as the progress counter is reset and then climbs to 60% and remains at this indefinitely.  TAC have suggested CSCvj74490 but currently only internally visible.  Will update once support bundle has been analysed by TAC.

Just to clarify are your manual backups run to the same destination as the scheduled backup?

Regards
Scott

Yip - we only have one repo for everything.  I can view the repo in the GUI and in the CLI and I can make manual config backups in GUI and CLI.

The freaky thing is that the scheduled Operational Backups are totally working fine!  No issues at all.  It's just affecting the Config Data Backups.

Wow, you did on-box upgrade to get to 2.4? 

I did backup-restore process to move to a brand new ise appliance for 2.4, then patch 1. It’s been only about 2 weeks. So far, My scheduled weekly config data backup works. Haven’t tried manual backup yet...

Thanks. 

Hi @Ping Zhou

If you're refrring to my earlier comment about upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4, we rebuilt all the VM's and restored the config backup onto the Primary PAN node.  I have not used the official upgrade procedure since my 2.2 -> 2.3 upgrade fiasco.  it went badly wrong and we ended up rebuilding all the VM's to fix the issue.

regards

Arne

Please ignore earlier bug reference, case was escalated to the BU who related the issue to the ISE Indexing service not running.  We found a missing reverse DNS entry (PTR record) was missing for the secondary PAN.  Once in place, indexing service started and manual and scheduled backup issues were resolved.

TAC subsequently opened a new bug CSCvm21147.

Hi,

We're experiencing a similar issue but on version 3.0.4.070. Can anyone perhaps confirm if this bug (CSCvh84275) is also on on this version?

Hi jaco.erasmus@za.logicalis.com 

What is version 3.0.4.070? ISE 2.3 is not a great release. If I were you I'd get off that release and give 2.4 a try. Or if you're feeling enthusiastic, then 2.6

3.0.4.070 is your ADE-OS Version.

If you do a show version, look a few more lines down for "Cisco Identity Services Engine" and the version will be just below that line.

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have two 2.4 deployments on the go right now. The one upgraded from 2.1 to 2.4 has the same issue as Arne's. The end date is null and only manual backups run. When I try to update the date and time it appears to save, but does not, upon reloading the backup page it still lists the end date as null.

The other deployment was an upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 and while the end date is not null, it also does not run on schedule, manual backups only.

I have yet to open a case on this due to lack of time to work on it. Maybe CSCvh84275 needs some deeper investigation because it sure sounds similar....If you don't count the whole cosmetic and still working bit.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As commented by others, different factors may contribute and make the backup not happening. In case you confirmed it still not working after reading through all the comments, please engage Cisco TAC to troubleshoot further.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: