Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 tries to authenticate domain computer as a domain user

Hey everyone,

I ran into a weird issue yesterday on a ISE 2.4 patch 8 deployment in which ISE is (for some reason) trying to authenticate a domain computer (which is using EAP-TLS) as a domain user. The computers are configured to only use machine authentication using EAP-TLS as there are no user certificates in this environment.

Looking at the detailed log (image below) it seems that ISE authenticates the computer just fine, but it then continues on to look up if the computer name is a domain user. Since there is no domain user with that computer name, ISE tells us the user could not be found and the login attempt is rejected.

broken ise machine auth.jpg

The only differens between the broken machine authentication and a working one is how the username of the machine presents itself in ISE. A machine that goes through a successful authentication shows it's computer's name as host/<computername>.<domain>

working ise machine authentication.PNG

The problem only seems to be happening on a few computers (less than 1% of the total computers that are only using machine authentication) but we've yet to find a solution to fix this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

please work with TAC and vendors as this forum is not meant for break fix. I see you have some help here as well

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

is the AD clean?  I mean, are the affected AD accounts looking exactly as they should be?  Does the host/identity exist in more than one account attribute?  Sometimes ISE has to deal with ambiguity resolution and it's described in a the document below - maybe some hints there

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0/ise_active_directory_integration/b_ISE_AD_integration_2x.html

In the interim, you could test how ISE performs its external ID lookups by going to Administration/External ID Sources and then select the AD Joint point, select a server and Test User.  Type the combinations of username and host/username to see what the result is.

You may find that you need to perform an Identity Rewrite under Advanced Settings to always prefix the "host/" to the username - but you'd want to perform that re-write only for machine accounts - that might be challenging. 

Thank you Arne for taking a look at this.

I've been doing lookups from inside ISE on several machines that work and comparing them to the non-working one and unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything that looks out of order. The computers' usernames shows up in several attributes in AD, sometimes as host/<computername> and sometimes as <computername>.domain but it all looks the same for every computer.

As the images show, there is an identity rewrite happening in the broken authentication that does not happen in the working authentication. We have never had to resort to identity rewrites before to make things work. I am not sure why the "incoming identity" is different between the broken and working authentications. Unfortunately I cannot make too many changes in this environment as it may affect other production devices.

We have checked and there is no user account with the same name either. This deployment is connected to only a single Active Directory.

I've being trying to wrap my head around this but I simply cannot understand why ISE continues to try to authenticate this computer name as a domain user after it has already says that "a match was found" for the computer name.

I'd recommend a tac case if you can't resolve here

Hello , 

Can you share with us authentication rule and authorization rule.

Hello,

when you doing a certificate why you not point is to AD because on pictures i see active directory no applicable. Second in authentication rule you can add 1 more row with certificate ou containt your ou than use this cert profile

please work with TAC and vendors as this forum is not meant for break fix. I see you have some help here as well

joel.moore
Level 1
Level 1

For some reason we cannot see the solution to this question.  It is very similar to an issue we are seeing.  Can some one re-post the solution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: