Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.6 license and VM resource requirements

taasai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All,
I have customers whom I will propose ISE version 2.6 VMware version. I am trying to estimate the number of cores and memory. Fewer CPU cores and memory is preferred. But I'm confused and would like to know what is the minimum requirements.

Q1. Are there no "ISE-2.6.0.156-virtual-SNS35XX-xxxx.ova" type .ova files on CCO? The following .ova files are the downloadable ones. These names indicate the spec referring to SNS36xx appliances.

ISE 2.6 OVA file - 200GB disk for Eval, Small, Medium (Recommend for Evaluation, PSN or PxGrid).
ISE-2.6.0.156-virtual-SNS3615-SNS3655-200.ova

ISE 2.6 OVA file - 600GB disk for Small or Medium (Recommend for PAN or MnT).
ISE-2.6.0.156-virtual-SNS3615-SNS3655-600.ova

ISE 2.6 OVA file - 1200GB disk for Medium or Large (Recommend for PAN or MnT).
ISE-2.6.0.156-virtual-SNS3655-SNS3695-1200.ova

ISE 2.6 OVA file - 2400GB disk for Large (Recommend for PAN or MnT).
ISE-2.6.0.156-virtual-SNS3695-2400.ova

I noticed there is "ise-2.6.0.156.SPA.x86_64.iso". The page says "Cisco ISE Software Version 2.6.0 full installation.This ISO file can be used for installing ISE on ISE-35x5 Appliances, SNS-36x5 Servers as well as a VM installation on VMWare ESX/ESXi/KVM/Hyper-V."
So here is another question.

Q2. Does choosing ise-2.6.0.156.SPA.x86_64.iso require fewer cores/memory than choosing .ova listed the above? The Installation guide indicates that 35XX based configurations are also supported for ISE version 2.6 like the following.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-6/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide_26/b_ise_InstallationGuide_26_chapter_01.html

---
The following table lists the VMware virtual machine requirements.

Production

Clock Speed—2.0 GHz or faster
Number of Cores
SNS 3500 Series Appliance:
Small—12 processors (6 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
Medium—16 processors (8 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
Large—16 processors (8 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
SNS 3600 Series Appliance:
Small—16 processors (8 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
Medium—24 processors (12 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
Large—24 processors (12 cores with hyperthreading enabled)
---

Q3, I would like to clarify if VM version ISE2.6 running on 35xx Medium equivalent environment is supported.
On this great community page, it says
"* ISE 2.4 introduces a new Large VM appliance. The current SNS-3595 hardware (or its VM equivalent) will be reclassified as a Medium appliance. Under ISE 2.4, there is currently no Large Hardware-based appliance, only a Large Virtual appliance. The Large VM appliance has identical specifications as the SNS-3595, but with 256GB RAM. The Large 3595-based VM is intended for use as a performance-enhanced MnT node. There is currently no application for its use as a PAN, PSN, or pxGrid node.
*ISE 2.6 introduces 3 new platforms- SNS 3615,SNS-3655 and SNS 3695 supported on hardware and VM equivalent. SNS 35xx series platforms has been announced EoL. "
ISE Performance & Scale
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-performance-amp-scale/ta-p/3642148

I'm confused by the "The current SNS-3595 hardware (or its VM equivalent) will be reclassified as a Medium appliance." part. What is the current status for ISE 2.6? What is the definition of the medium when it comes to 35xx based VM? 

Q4. I would like to confirm the licenses the customers will purchase for this configuration. How will the installed .iso based VM deffer if it is on 35xx medium or large? By the amount of Memory?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1- I am checking with the teams internally about this support

2- Choosing the iso file gives you the flexibility to allocate resources based on small medium large VM specifications manually.

3- Yes this is supported. The VM profiling is done based on the parameters below. So with iso also, when the VM boots, the profiling of VM is done based on the parameteres. 

SNS_3515:
Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Small
At least 12 CPU and 16 GB RAM

------------------------------------------

SNS_3595
Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Medium
At least 16 CPU and 64 GB RAM

----------------------------------------------

SNS_3595 with 256GB RAM(Super MnT)
Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Large
At least 16 CPU and 256 GB RAM

36XX:

SNS_3615

At least 16 CPU and 32 GB RAM

-----------------------------------

SNS_3655
At least 24 CPU and 96 GB RAM

------------------------------------

SNS_3695
At least 24 CPU and 256 GB RAM

--------------------------------------

Thanks,

Nidhi 

View solution in original post

No, 2.6 is only supported on SNS-3515 to SNS-3695 platform profiles.

The exception to this is for evaluation and lab use, but if you had an issue requiring TAC then it would be first thing called out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1- I am checking with the teams internally about this support

2- Choosing the iso file gives you the flexibility to allocate resources based on small medium large VM specifications manually.

3- Yes this is supported. The VM profiling is done based on the parameters below. So with iso also, when the VM boots, the profiling of VM is done based on the parameteres. 

SNS_3515:
At least 12 CPU and 16 GB RAM

------------------------------------------

SNS_3595
At least 16 CPU and 64 GB RAM

SNS_3595 with 256GB RAM(Super MnT)
At least 16 CPU and 256 GB RAM

36XX:

SNS_3615

At least 16 CPU and 32 GB RAM

-----------------------------------

SNS_3655
At least 24 CPU and 96 GB RAM

------------------------------------

SNS_3695
At least 24 CPU and 256 GB RAM

--------------------------------------

Thanks,

Nidhi 

taasai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nidhi,

How have you been? I hope you are doing well. Thank you for the quick response. 

I will wait for another reply to my question number 1. 

I would like you to ask another question. 

Do we support IBM_SMALL_MEDIUM, IBM_LARGE, UCS_SMALL, and UCS_LARGE platform profiles on ISE 2.6?

One of my customers would like to host ISE VM with fewer CPU cores and memory. If these are supported, it will be great.

Regards,

Tatsuya

No, 2.6 is only supported on SNS-3515 to SNS-3695 platform profiles.

The exception to this is for evaluation and lab use, but if you had an issue requiring TAC then it would be first thing called out.

Hi Damien,
Thank you for the quick response.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: