Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and Kerberos only AD

martucci
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, 

I have a customer that is trying testing ISE with an AD where he is turning off NTLM, and using only Kerberos.

He says that when he tests a used from the test function directly, choosing Kerberos, all is fine.

But when the has the client using dot1x (MSCHAPv2), then he gets a failute from ISE, saying user unknown or wrong password.

He has checked the Kerberos Checkbox under the advanced capabilities in ISE (even if he is wondering why the setting says plain text password there).

Can you please help us in understanding if it should work?

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See Solved: SMB 445 protocol for AD integration in ... - Cisco Community

Kerberos only can be used for plain-text authentications, such as guest portal logins.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi,

Have you tried to debug during the authentication? That should give more information around where the error is occuring.

Regards,
-Tim

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See Solved: SMB 445 protocol for AD integration in ... - Cisco Community

Kerberos only can be used for plain-text authentications, such as guest portal logins.

Hi Hsing,

thanks.

so for dot1x, ISE will always speak NTLM to AD, and the protocol cannot be disabled , in order to enable Kerberos only?

Thanks Hsing, 

We will ask the customer to test with GTC hat is a plain text password (they will have to use AnyConnect for that. Should it work as it is plain text?

Thanks a lot

@GeorgePerkins0204 That thread is posted in Cisco Security Partners forum.

ISE can't use AD without port 445. This is required for MS-RPC.

If your customer fears "Wannacry", please explain that it is an SMB1 exploit. ISE uses SMB2. The customer can disable SMB1 on the DCs, leaving SMB2 up.

SMB is needed for several things.  It is the ONLY protocol that can authenticate PEAP EAP-MSCHAP credentials.  So it is usually not an option to disable it…

Using AD as LDAP, we can't authenticate using EAP-MSCHAPv2, beside we won't be able to take advantages of Active Directory Sites and Services for HA and all the other benefits that ISE AD connector offers. ...

BRKSEC2132 is no longer at CiscoLive site so I attached the PDF file.

Also take a look at Understand Identity Service Engine (ISE) and Active Directory (AD) 

I cannot find documentation or blogs or tips where I turn off NTLM authentication in ISE. Like the original @martucci  post, we are a customer that needs to turn off NTLM on all domain devices and users. Audit of NTLM group policy settings are enabled to find all sources of NTLM authentication in the domain. I see ISE continuously using NTLM for user and device lookup in AD.

I use ISE Administration > Identity Management > External Identity Sources > Connection > select ISE node > Test User 

There are three Authentication Type options in the Test User dialog: Kerberos, Lookup, MS-RPC. When I test each type they all work, returning expected results. Only the MS-RPC authentication type logs an NTLM audit record. The question then becomes, how do I disable MS-RPC lookups in ISE and require ISE to use only Kerberos?

ISEtestuser.jpg

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-NTLM/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Netlogon
Date: 1/12/2024 10:01:59 AM
Event ID: 8004
Task Category: Auditing NTLM
Level: Information
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: GHCDC003.corp.blur.com
Description:
Domain Controller Blocked Audit: Audit NTLM authentication to this domain controller.
Secure Channel name: ONSNS3615ISE
User name: gperkins@corp.blur.com
Domain name: NULL
Workstation name: \\ONSNS3615ISE
Secure Channel type: 2
Audit NTLM authentication requests within the domain NULL that would be blocked if the security policy Network Security: Restrict NTLM: NTLM authentication in this domain is set to any of the Deny options.
If you want to allow NTLM authentication requests in the domain NULL, set the security policy Network Security: Restrict NTLM: NTLM authentication in this domain to Disabled.
If you want to allow NTLM authentication requests to specific servers in the domain NULL, set the security policy Network Security: Restrict NTLM: NTLM authentication in this domain to Deny for domain servers or Deny domain accounts to domain servers, and then set the security policy Network Security: Restrict NTLM: Add server exceptions in this domain to define a list of servers in the domain NULL to which clients are allowed to use NTLM authentication.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns=http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event>
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Netlogon" Guid="{e5ba83f6-07d0-46b1-8bc7-7e669a1d31dc}" />
<EventID>8004</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2024-01-12T16:01:59.8876250Z" />
<EventRecordID>8663101</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{91cb7c06-3883-0001-a87c-cb918338da01}" />
<Execution ProcessID="768" ThreadID="1440" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-NTLM/Operational</Channel>
<Computer>GHCDC003.corp.blur.com</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="SChannelName">ONSNS3615ISE</Data>
<Data Name="UserName">gperkins@corp.blur.com</Data>
<Data Name="DomainName">NULL</Data>
<Data Name="WorkstationName">\\ONSNS3615ISE</Data>
<Data Name="SChannelType">2</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I have started a new topic since the above reply is to an old, closed thread. Please see: turn-off-ntlm-in-ise-use-kerberos-instead 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: