Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Backup Best Practises

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I just want to check if there are certain best practises that I should be following when scheduling ISE backups. For example, should I be backing up operational data every evening with configuration data once a week?

Any guidance is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

If you have two PAN nodes then you could argue that backups are not so critical, since both PAN nodes contain identical programming. Also, if you have split your MnT personas, then you have redundancy that way too. I don't bother with operational backups at all.  But that's just my preference.  I would do it only if I were rebuilding a deployment (e.g. upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 etc).

Config Backups I would do daily - and then purge the backups to retain week's worth.  If you have a buggy ISE then your backups are probably in the order of GB's (because of all the system logs that are shoved into the config backup ... yes, CONFIG backup ... I just don't get it.  If I wanted java crash logs then I would ask for it ... but it's in your config backups - great idea ... not) - my backups contain 98% linux/app logs.

ISE 2.4 seems to be a bit better at purging logs.  I have noticed that the backups are a bit more lean these days.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

If you have two PAN nodes then you could argue that backups are not so critical, since both PAN nodes contain identical programming. Also, if you have split your MnT personas, then you have redundancy that way too. I don't bother with operational backups at all.  But that's just my preference.  I would do it only if I were rebuilding a deployment (e.g. upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 etc).

Config Backups I would do daily - and then purge the backups to retain week's worth.  If you have a buggy ISE then your backups are probably in the order of GB's (because of all the system logs that are shoved into the config backup ... yes, CONFIG backup ... I just don't get it.  If I wanted java crash logs then I would ask for it ... but it's in your config backups - great idea ... not) - my backups contain 98% linux/app logs.

ISE 2.4 seems to be a bit better at purging logs.  I have noticed that the backups are a bit more lean these days.

Thats great, thank you for taking the time to respond. Very helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: