Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Backup Failing

csosup
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have an issue where our configuration backup for ISE will fail most of the time saying either failed to copy to the repository (which is on a Windows server) or it will say back up aborted, the operational backup which happens daily and goes to the same repository works fine every night. Both the ISE appliance and Windows repository server are virtual and on the same host, so i am confused why  the config back up will fail both on its scheduled back up and if i do an on-demand backup.

We we first started having this is the file system was full with old backups (before we push them out to the repository) so they were all deleted and as it stands we have the below space free

Internal filesystems:
/ : 60% used ( 102572040 of 180476204)
/dev/shm : 0% used ( 0 of 8167076)
/boot : 7% used ( 29623 of 481764)
/storedconfig : 2% used ( 1583 of 89231)
/tmp : 1% used ( 3312 of 1975372)
all internal filesystems have sufficient free space

We are running version  2.0.0.306 as well if that helps.

All has been fine for over a year and then suddenly its just stopped backing up the config on a regular basis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That’s likely not exposed unless you have root access.

Also you’re running older version of ise that no longer supported. Recommend start looking at ise 2.2 or 2.4 for long term recommended release

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Yes but is there sufficient free space on the Windows repository server too ? For clarification post the exact error as seen when an on-demand backup is tried.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Yes on the Windows server there is 112Gb free as we speak, the other day that was down to 30GB free but that should be more than enough considering the config back up is only 1GB (operational backup that works is only 139MB). 

Below is the ext message from last nights backup failure.

Backup Failed

Details :

Backup Failed : Server=*****; Message=Backup failed: copy Daily_backup-CFG10-190508-2100 out to repository ****_sftp failed

Description :

The ISE Backup Operation Failed

Suggested Actions :

Ensure the network connectivity between ISE and Repository, Ensure the credentials used for the repository is correct, Ensure that there is sufficient disk space in the repository, Ensure there is WRITE privileges for the repository user

*** This message is generated by Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) ***

Sent By Host : *****

- Ok, check how much (large) of the designated file has been created at the repository server. If it still at 0 it could indicate some more fundamental problem such as with credentials or another problem. In the same context -> try to examine the sftp server's logfile. See if more info can be found in there.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thats the weird thing on the server the files for this back up that fails is on the server at just over 1GB, but yet i still get the email come through saying it has failed

I will check the logfile for the SFTP server and come back

Download the backup file and decrypt it locally on your windows machine with something like www.gpg4win.org. If the file decrypts without issues then your backup technically did not fail, ISE just reported that it did.

In the that case that the backup decrypts, I have seen this issues where the FTP server "hangs" while it is writing a large file. When ISE tries to "list" the directory to confirm the file was transferred successfully, the FTP server is busy and doesn't respond. This is common when the FTP server has external storage such as CIFS/NFS, the network is slow, and the temp file to final destination copy is slow. ISE reports this as a failed backup.

I have a feeling it could be something to do with the size, as the operational backup works all the time to the same repository buts its only 140MB, where as the config backup is 1GB

I will have a look at decrypting the back up from the repository, i might even try changing the SFTP software on the windows box and even try it on FTP as a test

>I will have a look at decrypting the back up from the repository, i might even try changing the SFTP software on >the windows box and even try it on FTP as a test

- Any status  updates on these items ?

M.

Have you tried using a different method? Non secure ftp?

Also if need critical support reach out to TAC for deep troubleshoting

Thats the other problem, i didnt set this up i have inherited and it appears we no longer have Cisco support for ISE... so hence why i am on here lol

Last nights config backup failed with the below message, but as i said in my previous post i will try some of the suggestions.

Backup Failed

Details :

Backup Failed : Server=*****; Message=DB BACKUP FAILED : . Backup aborted

Description :

The ISE Backup Operation Failed

Suggested Actions :

Ensure the network connectivity between ISE and Repository, Ensure the credentials used for the repository is correct, Ensure that there is sufficient disk space in the repository, Ensure there is WRITE privileges for the repository user

*** This message is generated by Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) ***

Sent By Host : *******

Just thinking is there anyway to shrink the configuration backup in size? 

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope.

If your ISE on ISE 2.2 / 2.3 / 2.4, you might run into CSCvi21737.

Also, CSCuq59764 is an enhancement request and not yet addressed.

Even older.. we are on 2.0.0.306! 

Looking at  CSCvi21737 it says to delete files in /var/log/journal. 

I dont seem to have a /var folder on the root

That’s likely not exposed unless you have root access.

Also you’re running older version of ise that no longer supported. Recommend start looking at ise 2.2 or 2.4 for long term recommended release
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: