Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Bandwidth Requirement

hanguye3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi bros,

Our customer is asking us on the ISE bwd requirements for with some specific cases below:

• The number of EUs are 5000 from many branches, connect to DC/DR through WAN link.
  • How much minimum bwd needed for one user authenticate successfully and get the ip from DHCP?
  • How much minimum bwd needed for the AnyConnect check the compliance policies on the PC, such as: version of AV/OS/Patch…?
  • How much minimum bwd need for the SCCM update OS/AV patch to user? I know it is not abt ISE but i need your experiences to advise.

I found that KB: https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-latency-and-bandwidth-calculators/ta-p/3641112 but it does not cover all the qns.

Highly appreciate for your advise. Thanks in advance.

Br,

hainm

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
7 Replies 7

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The link with the bandwidth calculator that you listed is the only validated calculator out there. With that said, I have done several successful ISE deployments where the endpoints were pretty far away with 300+ ms RTT. The most important part here is to ensure that there is enough bandwidth in the pipe so you don't end up starving the dot1x traffic. Otherwise, you will run into nasty issues with DHCP timing out, dot1x timing out, etc. Thus, if the links are small, then they will either need to upgrade them or have a very well deployed QoS.

Lastly, several ISE versions ago, the documentations used to list bandwidth requirements. Those are no longer included in the docs but I had saved them for future reference:

Description

Bandwidth

Minimum bandwidth between monitoring and policy service

1 Mbps

Minimum bandwidth between monitoring and admin

256 Kbps

Minimum bandwidth between client and policy service with posture

125 bps per endpoint

Minimum bandwidth between monitoring and monitoring (redundant)

256 Kbps

Minimum bandwidth between admin and policy service (redundant admin)

256 Kbps

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Hello  Neno,

Wondering if the table provided is still valid for newest ISE version (2.3/2.4) I have a customer who wants to know the BW required for communications between ISE personas and PSNs-NADs, I think this table is the most accurate answer. 

Regards. 

Yes

Thanks! Good to know.

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Recommend also looking at

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-performance-amp-scale/ta-p/3642148

Also the training on that page

Look at Cisco life for performance and scale slides as well

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-training/ta-p/3619944

HI Jason, please do you have a calculator for ISe 3.0 bandwidth?

Hi Jason, do you have the minimun bandwidth requeriments for ISE 3.0 ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: