cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE CTS Manual Commands on Port Channel with LACP Issue.

dyuen001
Level 1
Level 1

We have an ASR 1002 and a CAT 9500 switch connected via port channel with two physical interfaces.  We issued "cts manual" command on interfaces, it caused port channel to flap, unless the port channel mode is set to "on".  Does anyone have it configured and working with LACP?

16 Replies 16

Channel mode active will work with CTS. As Damien pointed out, follow the steps and that would enable the CTS manual on the interfaces with LACP.

I've come across this specific issue and that particular error message before. What I noticed was that for an LACP port-channel, you cannot have one member port configured for CTS and another port configured without it. Here are the steps I had to perform to configure CTS on port-channels that were already in production:

1 - Disable port <a> on 9500

2 - Disable port <a> on router (ours was an isr4431, but same procedure applies)

3 - Remove both ports from their respective port-channels

4 - Configure CTS manual on both ports

5 - Configure new IP in a different subnet; also configure anything else needed for routing to converge over the individual ports

6 - Enable port <a> on 9500 and and port <a> on router

7 - Wait for routing to converge

8 - Disable port <b> on 9500

9 - Disable port <b> on router

10 - Remove 9500 port <b> from port-channel, configure with CTS manual, and then re-add to port-channel

11 - Configure CTS manual on the router port <b> (didn't have to remove and re-add from port-channel)

12 - Enable 9500 port <b> and router port <b>

13 - Wait for routing to reconverge on the port-channel with CTS enabled on their member ports

14 - Disable port <a> on 9500 and port <a> on router

15 - Remove IP address (and any routing config) from 9500 port <a>, configure CTS manual, and configure for port-channel

16 - Remove IP address (and any routing config from router port <a>, configure CTS manual, and configure for port-channel

17 - Enable 9500 port <a> and router port <a>

18 - At this point all ports should be members of their respective port-channels and have CTS enabled

Needless to say, this was not a very fun endeavor but worked successfully for me at one of our new sites. BTW, we used this same process with layer 2 port-channels down to our access switches without the need for configuring IPs and routing on the <a> ports while running in individual mode and let RSTP sort out which ports were used while doing the switchover.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: