Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE guest portal cert

Qingguo Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi experts

My customer have purchased ISE certificate (wildcard) from well-known public CA ,  the cert is not signed by root CA but by intermediate CA. 

After installing cert (both ISE cert and intermediate cert)  on ISE.    some client/browser still get warning (cert not trusted ,  confirm new cert has been installed) , some client/browsers not. 

My question is if ISE will carry intermediate certificate for client validation ?   

does browser validate full cert chain for ISE ?

It could be recovered by installed intermediate cert on guest client .  but it may not be ideal solution for customer. 

thanks

Qingguo

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Qingguo Zhang 

Was this experienced on Firefox browser? If so then there might be a reason - Firefox has its own cert store and it does not use the Trust Store of your operating system.  All other browsers use the cert store of the OS (IE, Edge, Chrome, Safari etc).

It is also my understanding that the client can request the entire CA cert chain from the web server during TLS establishment, hence why, it's important to install the entire cert chain in ISE's Trusted Certificates.  If clients don't make this request then there is very little else you can do, other than to install the missing certs in clients.  But that is not pretty.  Have a look whether that "well known CA" has had some of its certs removed from popular browsers or operating systems - that happens from time to time when the reputation of a CA becomes questionable.

View solution in original post

If there is a load balancer in between the client and the PSN, then it could be that the load balancer is performing SSL bridging (F5 terminology) - and this means that the same cert lives on the load balancer.  Check that out - I have seen this happen once before and it can be quite frustrating.  if SSL bridging is used then of course the solution is to update the certs in the load balancer(s) in the path.

Thanks, I also think so. We do not have any load balancer in front of ISE, so it is a bug. 

I will try to buy a service contract and upgrade to latest version as soon as possible. If inform you, if the problem will be solved.

6 Replies 6

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Qingguo Zhang 

Was this experienced on Firefox browser? If so then there might be a reason - Firefox has its own cert store and it does not use the Trust Store of your operating system.  All other browsers use the cert store of the OS (IE, Edge, Chrome, Safari etc).

It is also my understanding that the client can request the entire CA cert chain from the web server during TLS establishment, hence why, it's important to install the entire cert chain in ISE's Trusted Certificates.  If clients don't make this request then there is very little else you can do, other than to install the missing certs in clients.  But that is not pretty.  Have a look whether that "well known CA" has had some of its certs removed from popular browsers or operating systems - that happens from time to time when the reputation of a CA becomes questionable.

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
PLease also work through the TAC on this. You didn't mention the cert. WE have a cert from SSL.com in our demos and labs and there are problems with cross signing. We had to get a different package from the vendor for it to work correctly on all clients.

Does anyone know solution of this problem? I have this problem too. I changed expired cert and fully removed old cert from ISE.

But all clients still see old cert, some of them do not able to login at all due to expired cert. I do not know there old cert can be stored.

If I check "  Portal test URL" under Guest Portal menu, I see new cert. My ISE version is 2.0.1.130

Unfortunately, I do not have now service contract to open TAC.

If there is a load balancer in between the client and the PSN, then it could be that the load balancer is performing SSL bridging (F5 terminology) - and this means that the same cert lives on the load balancer.  Check that out - I have seen this happen once before and it can be quite frustrating.  if SSL bridging is used then of course the solution is to update the certs in the load balancer(s) in the path.

you're also running old version of ISE, perhaps there was a bug where it wasn't removed. You should be on at least 2.2 with latest patch and thinking about moving to 2.4 for long term or even 2.6

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/bulletin-c25-740738.html

Thanks, I also think so. We do not have any load balancer in front of ISE, so it is a bug. 

I will try to buy a service contract and upgrade to latest version as soon as possible. If inform you, if the problem will be solved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: