cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE high load average alarms what does it tell?

Freemen
Level 1
Level 1

Deployment 3615 PAN, MNT, PSN ISE 2.6 p3, no snmp NMS monitoring

in one of the midnight around 3 am, i have high load average alarm, however the health report shown average is 3% CPU (1hour Average). No backup, endpoint purge running, no schedule task was run.

what i understand is that this during 5 min time it might happen high CPU, but i no way to tell because it average out to 1 hour.. so i get 3%, can i understand that even maybe 1 second all core went 100% then drop back to 3% this alarm also will generated?, this alarm unlike memory can be custom set to 90%, so that is confusing

"The ISE system is experiencing high load average.The load average number represents the average system load over a 5-minute period.A load average of 8.00 is 100% CPU utilization on 8-core box. This alarm will be triggered when the load average is above the number of processors available on your system"

Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 23.59.40.pngScreenshot 2020-01-18 at 23.58.58.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please take a look at the Key Performance Metrics under Operations > Reports > Reports > Diagnostics.

ISE runs most of its daily maintenance tasks around 3 AM.

As shown in the description of the high load average alarm, the number represents the average system load over a 5-minute period. And, the alarm is triggered when the number for the load average is more than the number of CPU cores allocated for the ISE appliance.

The man page for uptime says, 

System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either
using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken
over the three time intervals. ...

Thus, the alarm could also be triggered due to lots of I/O activities.

The CPU numbers in the 24-hour system summary dashlet are hourly averages.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please take a look at the Key Performance Metrics under Operations > Reports > Reports > Diagnostics.

ISE runs most of its daily maintenance tasks around 3 AM.

As shown in the description of the high load average alarm, the number represents the average system load over a 5-minute period. And, the alarm is triggered when the number for the load average is more than the number of CPU cores allocated for the ISE appliance.

The man page for uptime says, 

System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either
using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken
over the three time intervals. ...

Thus, the alarm could also be triggered due to lots of I/O activities.

The CPU numbers in the 24-hour system summary dashlet are hourly averages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: