cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE installation stuck

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am trying to re-image 2.4 on an SNS-3515 by mounting ISO from a local machine.

The image upgrade is getting stuck at the below stage.

We have upgrade the CIMC and BIOS to the latest version.

Verified the md5 too. 

Has anyone run into this issue ?

stuck.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming the screen taken during the ISO installation, then this previous discussion might help: Solved: Creating a USB Boot disk for fresh ISE ... - Cisco Community

Best to create a USB install drive out of the ISE install ISO and install from that.

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming the screen taken during the ISO installation, then this previous discussion might help: Solved: Creating a USB Boot disk for fresh ISE ... - Cisco Community

Best to create a USB install drive out of the ISE install ISO and install from that.

This shouldn't be marked as solved, this is a work around that isn't working for me as the device is already deployed at a remote location.

I am stuck at the exact screen installing ISE 3.0. What a pain to do any kind of upgrades/installation with ISE. Does anyone even test these before releasing them?

Off to TAC, they can deal with this!

Same here, fresh install of SNS3655-K9 with ISE 3.0 ISO. (Keyboard/Mouse Mode)

Stuck at the second time by the installation through CIMC at 562/596 CARSisePKg1. Next I try through USB stick installation.

Hi Patrik

just interesting what was previous SW on your SNS? i had n issue with imaging SNS-3655 to SW <2.6 & never with imaging to SW >=2.6. & initially SNS-3655 boxes came with 3.0 SW. 

Hi Andy,

previous it was 2.7 Patch 3. I don't think that this is important for a fresh install, as disks anyway get rebuild.

Patrik

it's not a stuck. recently i've been making reimaging to 2.7 & i waited on CARSisePKg1 for huge time.

just be patient & give reimaging time to complete.

i've found imaging to 2.7 (& may be it's relevant to 3.0 as well) to be extremely slow.

Stuck and finally it fails with an error, I waited for that. 
USB stick installation ran through now within 45 minutes.

I am reimaging a 3655 with ISO 2.7 using mouse/keyboard option, but i configured via CIMC the management port of the appliance on the same vlan/switch as my pc trying to speed up the process, it took 1.5 hours to complete the CARSisePKg1, so far almost 3 hours installation not finished yet, i will post later an update with the total amount of time it took (next time i will try USB), forget from home or remote using this approach, never ending.

This was the answer for me after many frustrating hours.  Was trying to re-image using ISE 3.1 .iso and it would always get stuck on downloading packages.  Read this and tried the 2.7 .iso and it's installing as should now.  You think Cisco TAC would tell me this to prevent me from spinning my wheels and wasting hours?  I guess they don't know either.

USB stick installation works fine, but as edondurgunti says, if the SNS is installed at a remote location, it's a worst case option and not practicable. 

nice to hear u overcame it. in my case i have VM with DAS in the same DC with ISE-boxes. but the only problem was with reimaging SNS-3655 to SW <2.6 (earlier SW is just incompatible with HW). Reimaging to 2.6 worked just fine & reimaging to 2.7 introduced 1st huge delay exactly on CARSisePKg1.

Ok, thats interesting. Concerning VM reimaging I can say for our environment that it worked without problems. 

no no. i meant i reimage SNS-3655 with GUI on windows VM (images r on the local drive but obviously the storage is quasi-DAS because it's attached from NetApp actually). i want to say that in my case installation source is quite close to ISE, but still there r huge delays in some phases of installation.

UPDATE, installing CARSisePKg2 took 25 min, i got to the final step 600/600 = INSTALLING cisco-esr after 3 hours, now performing post-installation setup tasks, installing boot loader and post-installation setup tasks so i estimate a total of 3.5 hours to complete the reimage of 3655 into ISE 2.7 using keyboard/mouse option KVM/CIMC on the same physical switch where ISE and PC with ISO are connected