cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Machine authentication

gpinero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i'm trying to authenticate windows 7 machine using Cisco ISE but the device not send MAR host/machine-name however if I use Windows 10 at client this send correct information (host/machine) to Cisco ISE. There is any bug in Windows 7 native client that avoid to send this information to ISE? updates recomended to install in W7 to solve it?

Thanks

CCNP R&S, CCNP Security, CCNA CyberOps
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I have done 100s of thousands of machine authentications on Windows 7 without an issue.  I mean early on there were hotfixes that needed to be applied to get through some bugs, but that was many years ago.  Are you sure you have the device set for computer only authentication?   As long as you have the wired autoconfig service enabled and the client correctly configured for computer authentication it should work.

Do you even see the Win7 device trying 802.1x?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I have done 100s of thousands of machine authentications on Windows 7 without an issue.  I mean early on there were hotfixes that needed to be applied to get through some bugs, but that was many years ago.  Are you sure you have the device set for computer only authentication?   As long as you have the wired autoconfig service enabled and the client correctly configured for computer authentication it should work.

Do you even see the Win7 device trying 802.1x?

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply... with Windows 7 I can't see 801.x auth in ISE but with the same config it's works on Windows 10, that's why I think is a client problem.

I am sure it is something on the client.  Have you double checked all the required settings and rebooted the machine to make sure the service is active and authentication is configured on the device.

Following Paul's questions.. Is the Win 7 client connected to the same access switch? How many Win 7 clients have this issue? What do you see in the live logs when the client attempts auth? -Warren

Hi all, and thanks for your response.

Both computers are connected in the same switch, same port. Windows 10 send host\machine-name and Windows 7 not send anything. 

I'm agree with you, there is a Windows 7 client error, it's possible that some patch is missing in the Windows 7 machine. I'm going to open a discussion in MS forums and try to find the problem. I write it back here.

Thanks