Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Patching from CDROM

JaVa808
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First time posting and utilizing the community. So hello to everyone.

I have ISE 2.4 and would like to install patches released.

Saw while creating a repository the option to upload patches from CDROM. Curious to see if this worked. So I downloaded the patches to CD/DVD and plugged in a DVD/CD usb. But when I did a sh disks it did not list a usbcd or usbdvd.

how would I check on ISE, what command would allow me to see the DVD/CD ROM if I even used the correct one.

Is there a way to upload from or is it best to just setup TFTP/FTP to do patching updates?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can define the dvd drive as a repository, then issue a "show repo <repo name>" to list the available files. I've never tried this with a dvd/usb repo so not sure the result really. It works great with FTP/SFTP. 

In a multi node deployment I find the easiest way to patch is to define a FTP server as a repository in the GUI maintenance section.  Then when you want to patch you call the patch process from the CLI, admin node first.

patch install <patch name> <repository name>

You can also patch ISE from the GUI, but I find this slow.  In a multi node deployment you do not have the option to select order or patch multiple nodes at the same time.  CLI > GUI in this case.  

If you have to roll back a patch for some reason, you can do this via the GUI or CLI again.
patch remove ise 4 - this would remove patch 4, substitute the number for the patch you are removing. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can define the dvd drive as a repository, then issue a "show repo <repo name>" to list the available files. I've never tried this with a dvd/usb repo so not sure the result really. It works great with FTP/SFTP. 

In a multi node deployment I find the easiest way to patch is to define a FTP server as a repository in the GUI maintenance section.  Then when you want to patch you call the patch process from the CLI, admin node first.

patch install <patch name> <repository name>

You can also patch ISE from the GUI, but I find this slow.  In a multi node deployment you do not have the option to select order or patch multiple nodes at the same time.  CLI > GUI in this case.  

If you have to roll back a patch for some reason, you can do this via the GUI or CLI again.
patch remove ise 4 - this would remove patch 4, substitute the number for the patch you are removing. 

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Damien Miller is right.
Putting patch files to a CDROM seems a lot of work so I only tried it with an existing ISE install ISO file. Here is my repository configuration:

repository c
  url cdrom:

And, then

# show repository c
EFI

Will give this a try tomorrow from the CLI as a backup. But will definitely go with what Damien mentioned as my primary. 

Thank you.