Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE SDA Deployment Sizing

Krzysztof Grabowski
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding ISE sizing in context of maximum supported authentications per second. ISE Performance and Scale provides unidirectional numbers for different authentication types (PAP/EAP-TLS etc... ) but does not provide a recommendation on number of PSN's. 

One of my customers challenged my why not to use a single pair of SNS-3695's running PAN+MnT+PSN for an SDA deployment which according to papers should support up to 50K sessions in 2.6. I think that it is a risky approach due to PAN and MnT load and potential RADIUS congestion (in case of spike like WLC reload or major outage-recovery situation) but with data on ISE Performance and Scale I don't have solid arguments to defend my position to recommend hybrid/distributed deployment with more than 2 PSNs. 

Could you please let me know what are the recommendations for number of PSNs with regards to auth/second rate? This dimension of ISE scaling seem to be a grey zone with no clear recommendations... 

Cheers,
Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The information for everything running on one box as standalone with HA is the best scenario. If customer is starting with less than 50k then this is a good starting design depending on how network is design and tuned following Cisco live guidelines . Once approaching limit would evaluate system performance and anticipate a need to split out the PSNs where needed into a medium distributed model.

The limits are tested and recommended per that testing to include all persona models accordingly

I would also recommend looking at the information from BRKSEC-2059 and the BRKSEC-3432 from Cisco live training site

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-performance-amp-scale/ta-p/3642148

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The information for everything running on one box as standalone with HA is the best scenario. If customer is starting with less than 50k then this is a good starting design depending on how network is design and tuned following Cisco live guidelines . Once approaching limit would evaluate system performance and anticipate a need to split out the PSNs where needed into a medium distributed model.

The limits are tested and recommended per that testing to include all persona models accordingly

I would also recommend looking at the information from BRKSEC-2059 and the BRKSEC-3432 from Cisco live training site

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-performance-amp-scale/ta-p/3642148

Thanks Jason!