cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE serial console RJ 45 port

JESSICA Walsh
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to make the RJ 45 serial port on the back of a 3615 ise server not spit out garbage? yes, it's set to 9600 baud, etc.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi Jessica

I have never worked on that server series but I would hope it's the same as all the others.  I found out that the serial port is linked to the OS, and not to the CIMC.  This means that if the OS (ISE/Linux Redhat) is not installed/running, then the port will not respond with anything. If ISE is installed and booted, then by all means the serial port should be linked to tty (console) of the Linux OS.  And 9600 is the default.

Have you dug through the CIMC CLI commands at all to see whether you can flip between CIMC CLI and OS Console?  it is possible.  Have a look here. It's probably not what you're after, but it might be another means to access the console.

Out of curiosity, why are you keen to use the physical console port on the SNS server?

View solution in original post

We often use the console during upgrade. We do have CIMC working as well. Turns out you have to disable serial over LAN in the CIMC to make the serial console port work

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Try 115200 may be?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi Jessica

I have never worked on that server series but I would hope it's the same as all the others.  I found out that the serial port is linked to the OS, and not to the CIMC.  This means that if the OS (ISE/Linux Redhat) is not installed/running, then the port will not respond with anything. If ISE is installed and booted, then by all means the serial port should be linked to tty (console) of the Linux OS.  And 9600 is the default.

Have you dug through the CIMC CLI commands at all to see whether you can flip between CIMC CLI and OS Console?  it is possible.  Have a look here. It's probably not what you're after, but it might be another means to access the console.

Out of curiosity, why are you keen to use the physical console port on the SNS server?

We often use the console during upgrade. We do have CIMC working as well. Turns out you have to disable serial over LAN in the CIMC to make the serial console port work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: