Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE SMS format

nathy1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

How can you insert a carriage return in the ISE Guest Portal SMS?

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think this depending on whether the SMS provider able to send out such character and how the SMS client able to render it. In my test with Verizon email-to-SMS gateway, the carriage-return characters are showing as spaces.

On the other hand, ISE has the option to [ ] Send username and password separately, which might fit what you trying to do.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 1.16.28 PM.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Please provide more details on the use case and where?

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think this depending on whether the SMS provider able to send out such character and how the SMS client able to render it. In my test with Verizon email-to-SMS gateway, the carriage-return characters are showing as spaces.

On the other hand, ISE has the option to [ ] Send username and password separately, which might fit what you trying to do.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 1.16.28 PM.png

I don't have a test facility for this - but I would try a quick test.

\n

or

%0a

If the SMS sends those literally as "\n" and "%0a" then it won't work.  But it might.  But perhaps sending in two separate messages is the cleanest and safest, since this might work on one device, but not on others.

Also could depend on sms provider

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, they are all shown literally in my test with Verizon because ISE encodes the text before send the message out as the body of the SMS.