Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE SMS notification

susreeni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE experts,

A customer of mine requested for information on creating an SMS notification template incorporating fields for username and password.

I found the following link pertaining to ISE 1.4:

Configure ISE Version 1.4 Email and SMS Notifications - Cisco

However, I am unable to find similar guides for ISE 2.2.

Please let me know if there is an ISE 2.2 guide to the information described in the link above. 

Or perhaps if the template information/guidelines in the link above are the same for ISE 2.2.

Thanks in advance for your help !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you please explain the destination as a variable? What is this used for? Is this the phone number of the guest?

If so have you tried $mobilenumber$ in the body?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Not sure exactly what a template is? The configuration is dependent on what provider you’re using

What provider are you planning to use?

As noted please look at the Community link posted, under it are several examples of different providers shared by people in the community

Hi Jason,

I reached out to the customer to get specifics.

The SMS provider is Telstra - specifically the Telstra TIM product and this provider has been added in the SMS provider list.

The customer has chosen to use SMTP as a method of getting the request to the SMS provider and this has been tested to be working.

The customer has also successfully managed to send notifications from ISE with the following email format. 

The provider template is below:

Email to:

sms@tim.telstra.com

Email body:

username=username@customerdomain.com

password=<password>

destination=0411848889

text=Testing SMS delivery

The customer is looking for help in changing the destination field to a variable that is fed in via the user form, and the text field also to be a variable depending on the kind of notification, user credentials or expiry reminder.

Can you please explain the destination as a variable? What is this used for? Is this the phone number of the guest?

If so have you tried $mobilenumber$ in the body?

Jason,

Thanks for your help with this.

I've requested the customer to use '$mobilenumber$' in the destination field.

I clarified the second query of their's and the requirement is that they would like the text field to contain different information depending upon the nature of the notification being sent.

For example, the text should contain a reminder about account expiry for a notification of account expiry. And a notification of new account creation should contain the user credentials etc.

I understand that this is possible by utilising the different options as described in the link below:

Configure ISE Version 1.4 Email and SMS Notifications - Cisco

I would like to confirm that the information in the link above is applicable to ISE 2.2 as well.

Yes they are the same

rafaelsalvinos
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I am configuring Cisco ISE in my environment, to send SMS to new users registered in the captive Portal.

I checked some forums here in the community and found the sending method only through the Simple HTTP method. The problem is that my SMS Provider does not provide this sending method, but only the sending method via POST, which in cURL would look like this:

curl --request POST \
--url https://sms.XXXXX.com.br/api/v2/send \
--header 'auth-key: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX' \
--header 'content-type: application/json' \
--data '{"Sender":"sender_id","Receivers":"phone_number","Content":"message"}'

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: