cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE VM on KVM hypervisor. HA mode deployment.

nbalani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, 

Planning to deploy ISE Small as a VM on KVM hypervisor. Deployment needs to be in HA mode.

Will it work ? how to configure the two VMs as HA pair ?

Latency limitations ? any other limitation/dependency on network ?

any deployment reference ?

thanks,

Neelesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Have you looked at the ISE Installation Guide? It’s an excellent read. 

yes it works. 

HA has nothing to do with hypervisor choice. It’s a deployment choice and built into ISE product. Look at the install guide. All will be revealed. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

yes it works. 

HA has nothing to do with hypervisor choice. It’s a deployment choice and built into ISE product. Look at the install guide. All will be revealed. 

Hi Arne,

I have read the install guide. appreciate the details in the guide. Still I am a little lost.

How do I configure the VMs as primary-secondary (hot-standby) ? 

If I deploy ISE in standalone mode, all 3 personas (admin, PSN, monitoring) will run on primary VM. In case of primary VM fails, will all 3 personas failover to secondary VM deployed in different Geo location ?

The Admin nodes contain the config database and those are Deployed on separate nodes in active standby mode. The standby is always in sync and can be failed over to if needed. PSN is not redundant. If it dies then you need to fix or replace it. NAS needs to be configured to point to a secondary or tertiary PSN. Deploy as many PSNs as you need to keep your NASs happy. 

So I create 2 VMs (primary and secondary) and procure 2 licenses of ISE VM and TACACS.

Admin and monitoring persona will work on active-standby mode on primary-secondary VM respectively and failover will work.

PSN-1 will work on primary VM and PSN-2 will work on secondary VM. Both PSN IPs will be configured in Network devices as primary / secondary. Some devices will use PSN1 as primary and others can be configured for PSN2 as primary.

Please confirm or correct my understanding.

Thanks,
Neelesh

Your understanding is correct. PSN's are active/active regardless of the PAN/MNT persona layout. You can always send authentication requests to either PSN.

@Arne Bier wrote:

yes it works. 

there are also http://cs.co/ise-guides http://cs.co/ise-help and we have a youtube channel - http://cs.co/ise-videos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: