cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE with Extra RAM and CPU

scamarda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If I provision an ISE VM with extra CPU and RAM resources, with it use that extra amount?  Or is it fixed?  If I have an ISE-Medium and I give it 128G of RAM, will it use that extra 64G?

Thanks.

Sam

4 Replies 4

Unless it has changed, the going reply is it is fixed and going out of the templates may cause instability.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It will run fine, I played with 128 GB on a 2.1 MNT for a while and it actually felt faster for some tasks.  At the same time, in the lab I use what ever RAM I have available at the time, I've yet to run in to a problem caused by odd memory allocations. 

The issue will arise with TAC and support since it is not a tested deployment model.  In my experience you won't be denied support, but you can guarantee that as soon as your start looking at show techs and generating support bundles it will be one of the first things called out.  At that point you have the option to pull it back to 64 GB, or raise it to the large 2.4 256 GB (assuming it's running on 2.4) MNT. 

The real question would be why.  If it's to address performance issues, then it would only be masking an issue.  

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might need to adjust the resource reservations. As Dustin Anderson pointed out, ISE profiles the system resources based mainly on the compatible SNS appliances for ISE services. However, the system can use more memory for cache and buffer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: