cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Node change of Persona

mitchp75
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a little confused about what process to take next, we had a PSN failure where it was offline for an extended period and it was deregistered from the deployment. The node is now back online and still out of the deployment however it's Persona is still as a PSN. Before registering it back to the deployment does this node need to be reconfigured as a stand alone or is it safe to register as is? If so I'm having trouble finding what steps to take.

Thanks for all your help! 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you run application reset-config, it does not reset the ADE-OS settings, ISE will remain network connectable.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/cli_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24_chapter_01.html#wp1727183819

"Although the application reset-config command resets the Cisco ISE configuration to factory defaults, the operating system (Cisco ADE-OS) configuration still remains intact. The Cisco ADE-OS configuration includes items such as the network settings, CLI password policy, and backup history."

View solution in original post

Thank you every one for the suggestions, the help was needed quickly and you guys definitely provided that! I had an Engineer onsite with console access, ran the command there however I didn't lose many pings and never lost remote access to the PSN which is now set back to Factory Defaults as a stand alone node with an Evaluation License which is fine. I'll proceed to add it to the deployment and definitely appreciate the help!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Cory Peterson
Level 5
Level 5

Just to be safe I would just reset the config on the Node and then re-add it to the deployment and it will sync all the data to the "new" node.

To reset the node just login to the Console and run the following command and reconfigure all the basic info: 

application reset-config ise

Note: If you have patched the existing deployment while the node was offline you will need to ensure you add the patch to the node being added to the deployment before it can be added to the deployment.

Awesome thats the commands I seen in the documentation as well but wanted to make sure, so this command wipes all config such as IP addresses and default gateway so doing it remotely isn't an option?

Correct, if you are running VM appliance you can just do it through the VM Console so remote is possible in that situation. 

If you run application reset-config, it does not reset the ADE-OS settings, ISE will remain network connectable.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/cli_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24_chapter_01.html#wp1727183819

"Although the application reset-config command resets the Cisco ISE configuration to factory defaults, the operating system (Cisco ADE-OS) configuration still remains intact. The Cisco ADE-OS configuration includes items such as the network settings, CLI password policy, and backup history."

Thank you every one for the suggestions, the help was needed quickly and you guys definitely provided that! I had an Engineer onsite with console access, ran the command there however I didn't lose many pings and never lost remote access to the PSN which is now set back to Factory Defaults as a stand alone node with an Evaluation License which is fine. I'll proceed to add it to the deployment and definitely appreciate the help!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: