Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Onboard Endpoint using API to then manage via MyDevice portal

Hello

We have created a simple website to onboard users' endpoints using just their MAC address, which we also assign to their AD username using portalUser attribute of Endpoint API. However, this is an interim tool... in future we would like to switch to Cisco ISE BYOD portals and we want all these MAC addresses that we add via API to then be visible under MyDevice portal (hence we create association of portalUser to MAC address).

I have noticed, that portal doesn't show these devices even though we are using the same format for portalUser as ISE (username@domain). We tried both methods - CREATE and REGISTER, but result is the same. The only difference is that REGISTER ignores Endpoint Group Id and puts endpoints into RegisteredDevices group regardless. It doesn't affect registration status, such as BYODRegistration, or DeviceRegistrationStatus, or IsRegistered endpoints' attributes

So, the question is simple. Is it possible to add endpoints into endpoints DB using API but also be able to manage them via MyDevices portal? What is the sequence (if possible at all)?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am seeing the same in my lab so checking with our teams on this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am seeing the same in my lab so checking with our teams on this.

Thank you! Any update on this?

Would be great if there's a way to do it

We observe this behavior on ISE v2.3 Patch #5, but we are going to upgrade to ISE v2.4 latest patch in couple months. As long as it works in ISE v2.4 I will be happy :)

this is still being researched

Thanks @Jason Kunst .

I am not sure why this one is marked as Solution Accepted though? Doesn't seem like there's a solution (yet)?

This is being tracked internally as no one else in the public community can answer it then its not outstanding, we will follow up when we have the answer. It looks to be a long term fix that’s coming to track via a defect

Thanks. It does make sense.

May I also share the following observations with you?

Endpoint's 'name' field is quite useless when it comes to API. It is always set to MAC address ('mac' field), it can be set to anything when new endpoint is created (or existing one is edited), but this information is not shown anywhere (portals, Endpoint attributes, or even API itself - next time you query it will be set to mac address).

Would be very nice if this field actually represents the same thing as in portal as well - name of the device that end users set during onboarding.

Thanks a lot

For anyone having issues like this it would be good to have a tac case and SR to track with defect as well
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: