cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Profiling with DHCP (IP Helper)

jpfowler5
Level 1
Level 1

How do I get DHCP information to ISE from a switch that is running the DHCP server? When I'm pointing to an external DHCP server using IP helper on the SVI works like a charm, but I don't know how to do this when the DHCP server is on the switch.

Thanks for any advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the switch handing off the DHCP assignment, then it does not forward the requests to another, such as ISE. Thus, we need either use an external DHCP server and ip-helper or use a SPAN port for ISE to capture the DHCP requests.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the switch handing off the DHCP assignment, then it does not forward the requests to another, such as ISE. Thus, we need either use an external DHCP server and ip-helper or use a SPAN port for ISE to capture the DHCP requests.

paul
Level 10
Level 10

Jacob,

Did you test adding the IP helper to the switch?  I am pretty sure I tested this and the switch will still serve up DHCP and forward the DHCP packets.  Remember IP helper is not just used for DHCP forwarding.  It has other functions like Wake on LAN directed broadcast forwarding and other uses. 

The local router/switch will not serve and also forward.  Other than changing DHCP to be centralized, the recommended option here is Device Sensor as local SPAN is not feasible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: