cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS Authorization Only for Client VPN

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I wanted to run a solution by the community to see if anyone sees a downside or a different way to do it.

I am working with Azure MFA for client VPN authentication but we want to get ISE involved.  The Azure MFA RADIUS server doesn't seem to support RADIUS proxy servers so it won't pass back the Proxy-State AV pair that ISE requires when doing proxy mode RADIUS.  I can get non-proxied RADIUS to work through ISE (token RADIUS server), but the MFA server requires all AV pairs to be passed from the ASA to fully work.  So non-proxied is not an option.

So I thought about using the authorization feature on the ASA.  The ASA will authenticate directly to Azure MFA RADIUS and authorize to ISE.  RADIUS doesn't really have a concept of "authorization" like TACACS does.  So when the request comes to ISE it tries to process a full authentication.  There is no password in the packet so the authentication fails.

To get around the issue I set the authentication source to Internal Users, which we don't use, and told ISE to Continue on user not found.  This allows ISE to process the authorization and everything works correctly.  I can apply DACLs, SGTS, etc.

Anyone see an issue with this or am I missing something obvious.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

Apologies as I did not realize that was an internal wiki.  I don't see anything confidential so will re-post relevant parts here.

Enhancing ASA Certificate-Only Authentication with ISE Authorization

Originally posted by Ron Hinderer

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When using certificate based authentication in conjunction with Anyconnect VPN, the certificate authentication process terminates on the ASA. This is in contrast to EAP based certificate authentication whereby the Network Access Device passes the certificate through to ISE for validation. In the EAP scenario, ISE can perform detailed evaluation of certificate attributes and perform additional identity store lookups for group membership and discrete attributes. Since the ASA terminates the authentication process without passing the certificate to ISE, all attribute validation must be performed using the ASA built-in group policy capabilities and DAP. This leads to disjointed policy definitions for different access methods such as wired and wireless 802.1x. In addition, ISE offers a more robust policy capability versus the ASA built-in capabilities.

SOLUTION

1. Use the “Remote Access VPN->Network (Client) Access->Anyconnect Connection Profiles->Advanced->Authorization” dialogue to configure ISE as the attribute server. 
  2. In this scenario, the ASA will first perform certificate based authentication. Once the certificate has been validated, the ASA will send a radius request to the ISE server. 
  3. The username contained in the Radius request is derived from the “Username Ma
  4. pping from Certificate” settings in the “Advanced->Authorization” configuration dialogue.  Since this request is Authorization only, the password field will be blank.  An “Authentication Policy” must be configured to use the appropriate LDAP identity sto
  5. re for authentication with the “If authentication failed” Identity Source option set to “continue”. This will allow ISE to continue to Authorization Policy eva
  6. luation. The authentication will fail, however, ISE will receive the attributes associated with the username for use during the Authorization Policy evaluation
  7. phase.  Upon successfully matching an Authorization Policy, ISE will return a Radius “Accept” along wi
  8. th the return attributes contained in the Authorization Profile.  The return attributes can contain any valid attributes for the Anyconnect VPN session including DACL.

Additional information apart from the username can be obtained by either:

• embedding additional information in the designated username attribute of the certificate at the time of certificate generation,
  • setting the “Use the entire DN as the username” option,
  • setting the “Use script to select username” option and defining a LUA script to manipulate and aggregate attributes to be used as the username.

As long as the actual identity store username appears at the beginning of the username value and is delimited by a predetermined character, the additional information can be evaluated in the Authorization Policy. The additional information must be stripped off before sending to the identity store. This can be accomplished using LDAP external identity configuration for the respective LDAP identity store. Examples of additional information to include; device type, personal or trusted.

Note: In order to prevent the possibility of unauthorized access using the “continue” identity source option, additional steps can be taken to lock this capability to a specific connection profile.

This can be accomplished by:

• configuring a separate AAA group for ISE and mapping this group to a unique ASA interface which can be evaluated (interface IP) in an authentication policy,
  • using the additional VSA attributes introduced in ASA 8.4.3

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

Apologies as I did not realize that was an internal wiki.  I don't see anything confidential so will re-post relevant parts here.

Enhancing ASA Certificate-Only Authentication with ISE Authorization

Originally posted by Ron Hinderer

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When using certificate based authentication in conjunction with Anyconnect VPN, the certificate authentication process terminates on the ASA. This is in contrast to EAP based certificate authentication whereby the Network Access Device passes the certificate through to ISE for validation. In the EAP scenario, ISE can perform detailed evaluation of certificate attributes and perform additional identity store lookups for group membership and discrete attributes. Since the ASA terminates the authentication process without passing the certificate to ISE, all attribute validation must be performed using the ASA built-in group policy capabilities and DAP. This leads to disjointed policy definitions for different access methods such as wired and wireless 802.1x. In addition, ISE offers a more robust policy capability versus the ASA built-in capabilities.

SOLUTION

1. Use the “Remote Access VPN->Network (Client) Access->Anyconnect Connection Profiles->Advanced->Authorization” dialogue to configure ISE as the attribute server. 
  2. In this scenario, the ASA will first perform certificate based authentication. Once the certificate has been validated, the ASA will send a radius request to the ISE server. 
  3. The username contained in the Radius request is derived from the “Username Ma
  4. pping from Certificate” settings in the “Advanced->Authorization” configuration dialogue.  Since this request is Authorization only, the password field will be blank.  An “Authentication Policy” must be configured to use the appropriate LDAP identity sto
  5. re for authentication with the “If authentication failed” Identity Source option set to “continue”. This will allow ISE to continue to Authorization Policy eva
  6. luation. The authentication will fail, however, ISE will receive the attributes associated with the username for use during the Authorization Policy evaluation
  7. phase.  Upon successfully matching an Authorization Policy, ISE will return a Radius “Accept” along wi
  8. th the return attributes contained in the Authorization Profile.  The return attributes can contain any valid attributes for the Anyconnect VPN session including DACL.

Additional information apart from the username can be obtained by either:

• embedding additional information in the designated username attribute of the certificate at the time of certificate generation,
  • setting the “Use the entire DN as the username” option,
  • setting the “Use script to select username” option and defining a LUA script to manipulate and aggregate attributes to be used as the username.

As long as the actual identity store username appears at the beginning of the username value and is delimited by a predetermined character, the additional information can be evaluated in the Authorization Policy. The additional information must be stripped off before sending to the identity store. This can be accomplished using LDAP external identity configuration for the respective LDAP identity store. Examples of additional information to include; device type, personal or trusted.

Note: In order to prevent the possibility of unauthorized access using the “continue” identity source option, additional steps can be taken to lock this capability to a specific connection profile.

This can be accomplished by:

• configuring a separate AAA group for ISE and mapping this group to a unique ASA interface which can be evaluated (interface IP) in an authentication policy,
  • using the additional VSA attributes introduced in ASA 8.4.3

Ahh yeah I thought of doing a similar with AD fail Auth but wanted to avoid and AD or LDAP query.

Sent from my iPhone

Do you have the equivalent CLI commands?

-Thanks

New Features in ASA 9.2(1)/ASDM 7.2(1) has this feature ISE Change of Authorization 

The ISE Change of Authorization (CoA) feature provides a mechanism to change the attributes of an authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) session after it is established. When a policy changes for a user or user group in AAA, CoA packets can be sent directly to the ASA from the ISE to reinitialize authentication and apply the new policy. An Inline Posture Enforcement Point (IPEP) is no longer required to apply access control lists (ACLs) for each VPN session established with the ASA.

When an end user requests a VPN connection the ASA authenticates the user to the ISE and receives a user ACL that provides limited access to the network. An accounting start message is sent to the ISE to register the session. Posture assessment occurs directly between the NAC agent and the ISE. This process is transparent to the ASA. The ISE sends a policy update to the ASA via a CoA “policy push.” This identifies a new user ACL that provides increased network access privileges. Additional policy evaluations may occur during the lifetime of the connection, transparent to the ASA, via subsequent CoA updates.

We introduced the following commands: dynamic-authorization, authorize-onlydebug radius dynamic-authorization.

We modified the following commands: without-csd [anyconnect], interim-accounting-update [periodic [interval]].

We removed the following commands: nac-policy, eou, nac-settings.

We modified the following screen: Configuration > Remote Access VPN > AAA/Local Users > AAA Server Groups > Add/Edit AAA Server Group

Hi , 

any documents available on how to achieve this ?

Thanks 

Just a note that this doesn't work on ACS 5.6.  ACS did not honor the "continue" directive and just outright rejects the authentication for having a blank password, regardless of the identity store setting.  LDAP authorization worked swimmingly however.

Can posture be implemented under this scenario? 

Yes, just tested it.
However if you use always on VPN and/or cert auth for users you will posture the endpoints two times.
Better to apply posture only for the user connection if the above conditions apply.

obaid.noor2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting this. I am trying to achieve something similar but am not sure about the AuthZ policies.

We are using Okta for SAML authentication on the ASA where anyconnect users get authenticated.

I can see that I have to select ISE as the AuthZ server in the ASA group policy.

I am not clear on how to configure the ISE side. Do I need to add the ASA as a NAD with Radius checkbox ticked and a preshared key?

Or is adding the ASA as a NAD, on the ISE, not required?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Obaid

MrButton
Level 1
Level 1

reviving this thread. Does anyone have videos on how to do this?

I just configured this.

Created a separate AAA group on ASA for ISE where the authorize-only option is checked.
Assigned it to the respective tunnel-group's advanced/authorization section.
The tricky part was getting the correct username from the computer certificate. You can configure it at the same place.
I had to use a LUA script because only the following format was working to find the computer with an ISE AD query: host/hostname.domainname
LUA script to achieve it if the CN looks like this in the cerrtificate hostname.domainname: 
return 'host/'..cert.subject.cn

On ASA you can check the script with this command: more disk0:/username_from_cert.xml
On ISE you dont need to do anything with the authentication policy part, create a new authorization rule where you query the tunnel-group name, AD membership (ie. DN, CN etc.), service type = authorize-only.