Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset M&T Database

craiglebutt
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

We've got a current problem with logs, our support company had opened a TAC case.

Basically they are saying to reset the M&T database.

I can't speak directly to cisco as via 3rd company, what is the affect of resetting the M&T Database on a deployment?

what wont work, what will be affected

cheers in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Usually M&T database means ISE MnT Operational (OPS) database, which holds the info that we use to generate ISE reports.

Recent ISE releases has options to "Purge M&T Operational Data" and "Reset M&T Database" after issuing ISE admin CLI command "application configure ise".

The purge option is to clean up the data at the time of issuing the option and will prompt to ask the number of days to be retained.. The reset option is to reset the database files to the factory default so no data retained up until the time of issuing the option. We would reset it if the database files are taking up to too much file system space. The rest option will take ISE services down temporarily and then restarts it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please work through the support channel as well as being researched

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Usually M&T database means ISE MnT Operational (OPS) database, which holds the info that we use to generate ISE reports.

Recent ISE releases has options to "Purge M&T Operational Data" and "Reset M&T Database" after issuing ISE admin CLI command "application configure ise".

The purge option is to clean up the data at the time of issuing the option and will prompt to ask the number of days to be retained.. The reset option is to reset the database files to the factory default so no data retained up until the time of issuing the option. We would reset it if the database files are taking up to too much file system space. The rest option will take ISE services down temporarily and then restarts it.

jakunst - when I asked these questions to the TAC they generally don't know what these options do.  I have given up asking them.  I find that there is more value in asking these questions in this forum because the quality of answers is better.

Of course we should not advocate playing around with these nerd knobs in some random fashion.  However, anyone who wants to learn about these features should be able to look up detailed technical documentation that explains what these menu items do, and when to use them.  If these menu options are so dangerous (bordering on reckless) then they should be hidden from the user's sight.  In my opinion it's more reckless to provide such features in plain sight without proper documentation.  All it takes is someone to write a nice plain English paragraph in the Admin guide that explains WHY, WHAT, HOW etc.

I started to wonder why the ISE platform doesn't take care of this housekeeping itself?  How does a node even get so corrupted/polluted that it requires user intervention?  And what are the warning signs that user intervention is required?

I think the original question was not answered, at least for me is not clear

- 'what is the affect of resetting the M&T Database on a deployment?'

- 'what wont work, what will be affected'

I'll add a third one:

-This option will erase something on the configuration?

Regards,

Hi @victormanuelsolis ,

it's an old post, but to answer your questions:

- 'what is the affect of resetting the M&T Database on a deployment?'

Could solve the incorrect MAC to IP Binding at Live Session or/and blank page at Live Logs.

- 'what wont work, what will be affected'

Reset does NOT affect AuthC but does impacts Guest and Sponsor Portal Access. This process is executed on PMnT and SMnT.

Note: "application will be restarted" ...

ise/admin# application configure ise
Selection configuration option
[4]Reset M&T Database
You are about to reset the M&T database. Following this operation, application will be restarted.
Are you sure you want to proceed? y/n [n]: y

-This option will erase something on the configuration?

No, the reset occurs at MnT (Operation Data) and not at PAN (Configuration Data).

Note: attention to CSCvt79223 MNT DB Reset via application configure ISE failed to complete and CSCvc84399 MnT Logic Needs to be fortified to perform extra checks before updating an existing session.

Hope this helps !!!

Thanks again Marcelo, have a nice day!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: