cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Session Reauthentication in GUI results in CoA from PAN->PSN->NAD. Why?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi gurus

In my customer deployment I have configured and successfully tested Sponsored CWA using ISE 2.2p1 and Cisco WLC (Model 2504 running 8.2.151.0 code) - I checked the TCPdump in Wireshark and all the Message Authenticators are correct, after I discovered a bug in 8.2.110.0 where the WLC was sending CoA-ACK with the wrong authenticator.  Good news is that 8.2.151.0 fixed that.

Then I tested a Session Re-authentication initiated from the GUI - and now I have questions ... :-)  Why is the PAN suddenly involved ?

IE PAN CoA.png

I would have thought that the CoA would go only from the relevant PSN to the NAD.

On a related note, does the PAN and PSN use an internal (undisclosed) Radius shared secret, that would cause the CoA-ACK to fail as shown below?  I only know the Radius shared secret between PSN and WLC, and that is what Wireshark uses to calculate the authenticator.

ISE CoA from PAN.PNG

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe this is how it working when triggering CoA from the PPAN admin web UI.

It should use the RADIUS shared secret as configured in the NAD. If it's doing so, then it might be a bug. If you may give me the exact info how to recreate it, and if I am able to reproduce it in our lab, I can log a bug.

Hi

Thanks for looking into this.  I still don't understand the reasoning why a PAN sends radius CoA to a PSN?  My pPAN has no Services configured.

I have a fully distributed deployment running ISE 2.2p1.  My NAS is a Cisco WLC2054 running 8.2.151.0.  I started a TCPDump on my PSN Gig0

I authenticate to a sponsored Guest portal. And then navigate to the PAN Operations->Live Sessions and choose Reauthenticate under the CoA Actions icon.

Load the .pcap into Wireshark (I used Windows ver 2.2.7) and configure your NAS's shared secret into Wireshark

Edit -> Preferences

Protocols / Radius

I think it's done by design that the primary ISE node be the initiator to the CoA when requested at the live sessions. Is it causing you a particular concern?

Yeah, you are correct. I never thought about it before. During a proxy request, only the peers need the same shared secrets so that the one(s) between PPAN and PSN might as well differ from that between PSN and NAD. PPAN needs not serve session services as it acts a RADIUS client but not a server in the CoA requests.