cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing - Compliance is 'Released Entitlement' - what does this mean?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

The compliance column shows Released Entitlement for certain license types I just added.

Just checking with the experts in the Community about what does 'Released Entitlement' mean .. is it that I am currently not consuming any licenses of this type, but that I am able to do so?

ISE 2.3 patch 1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

coreytouchet
Level 1
Level 1

Explanation from Cisco is the following.

If you're not using the licenses and the count is 0, then that's what causes this.  Once you have users on the system causing the license count to be >0 then it would say in compliance.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems the smart agent released the entitlements on the the licensing types. One case I found is due to the Cisco Smart Licensing portal showing a different serial number from the one of the customer's setup. It's remediated by:

Go to Smart Software Licensing

Go to Inventory>> Product Instance

At the Right Pane, there is an Action button. Click it and choose remove.

After that, go to the device again with correct SN and add the same token you created

If that not helping, please engage Cisco Licensing team.

thanks.  We have never changed the serial number of this deployment because the VM's have not been rebuilt since we installed ISE 2.3 on them.  Smart Licensing was enabled months after we built the new VMs.

I will give this a try in another (lab) environment to see whether the workaround applies.

coreytouchet
Level 1
Level 1

Explanation from Cisco is the following.

If you're not using the licenses and the count is 0, then that's what causes this.  Once you have users on the system causing the license count to be >0 then it would say in compliance.

Cisco Fan
Level 1
Level 1

I have connected users, and it is still showing as "released entitlement". Is it that we are still under the evaluation license with maximum 100 users? 

NTABMOICTMgmt_0-1699952626025.png

On the Cisco software central, the essential license is showing as "0" in use.

Will check with the TAC now.

Fixed with the tac as follows:

1. Try refreshing the license (symbol under the licenses section)

2. If refreshing  doesnt work, then renew registration

3. If renew registration doesnt work, then de register, and register again (with a new token). 

It worked for us with the 3rd option.

i have something new on the topic. our cube 3.2p2 is configured for cloud SSM via proxy & it started to trigger "Smart Licensing Authorization Renewal Failure: Details=Could not return the certificate for the given sn (<nine-digits>) since it is REVOKED." for which i cant find SN (?) in the SSM... Meanwhile Licensing GUI view changed to below for non-0 entries. Any clues?

andydoesntlikeuucp_0-1710770023635.png

I have not seen this error before. Smart Licensing does seem to flake out on my customer On-Prem CSSMs regularly.

Is your proxy performing SSL interception? Check the proxy and see if it has an issue.

If you point ISE to Cisco Smart Licensing (https direct to internet) then I would highly doubt that you'd get this message (or we'd all know about it). That's why I suspect there is an issue with the proxy. If not, then it must be an ISE defect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: