cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The workaround for VLAN DHCP Release

shkuzu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I saw the config example for CWA with catalyst or WLC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/113362-config-web-auth-ise-00.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/115732-central-web-auth-00.html

According to the guide, we don't recommend IP renew method by using VLAN DHCP release.

I guess the reason is renewing address require active-x and it's not 100% sure to work.

Anyway, my customer plan to use two DHCP servers.

One is for short DHCP lease time for 1st auth, and the other have the normal DHCP lease for 2nd auth.

Can we support their way to change IP address?

11 Replies 11

ognyan.totev
Level 5
Level 5

1st For redirection you can add Vlan ID Just tick Vlan and set the ID before created on the device .After guest successful registered and authenticated you can add other profile and change there vlan too.

It's not a problem for closed mode as you can push the vlan in the redirection authorization rule as shown above.

Its an issue in low impact. The vlan dhcp release functionality works but the user experience is not good.

We have used auto smart port macro in lab on 3650 and 3750-E to achieve it.

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/81859

I know of one customer which is trying to implement it in production.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some of our customers are using short DHCP lease time and I have not heard any issue.

Another recommendation would be to register the endpoints of the users into an Endpoint group and after initial Authentication Rely on a authorization rule that simply permit to access if you’re in that end point group

We call this guest remember me

Jason, could you expand on this option? I'm trying to get DHCP renew working well for wired guest.

My aim:
port has 802.1x falling back to MAB.
start in VLAN 150, move Guest to VLAN 400, Corp to 500.
[ignoring the Corp part here as only have a problem with Guest]

Authz Rules:
- Guest_Access: if IG=GuestEndpoints then result = Guest (set VLAN 400)
- Redirect_To_Hotspot: if Guest_Flow then result = Hotspot (Redirect to Hotspot portal (sets IG=GuestEndpoints, no AUP, CoA=Terminate))
- Redirect_To_CWA: if Wired_MAB then result = WebAuth (Redirect to CWA (Self Reg Guest) portal (device reg disabled, AUP, success URL set to force HTTP GET so HotSpot kicks in))

It runs through the policy quite nicely but the change of VLAN is not detected by the client. So far the best result i have is from setting a very short DHCP lease (2 minutes) in VLAN 150 - then, approx 16 pings time out from a continuous ping.

In Admin > System > Settings > Profiling the CoA is set to Reauth. I tried Port Bounce but the client didn't see that (perhaps because it's a VM). Also the CoA option on the Hotspot portal (Reauth or Terminate) doesn't appear to make any difference.

I am aware of the SmartPort Macro option but that requires certain switch models, and i want a more general solution.

I've seen a few references by you to a 3-rule solution but can't find or work out the detail.

G

Did you try with a real client? Perhaps your vm port is not going up and down?

Are you sure your switch is bouncing port?

CoA setting in Admin > System > Settings > Profiling (Reauth or Port Bounce) seems to make little difference - if set to Port Bounce then bounce happens when i delete the Endpoint from ISE but not when it joins.
CoA setting in Hotspot portal (Reauth or Terminate) makes no difference i can see.

what is the solution you have alluded to?

G

What ISE release are you running?
Have you tried 2.4 with latest patch>?

Running 2.2 Patch 12.

tried in the lab with 2.4 Patch 5 too - couldn't see any difference.

Thanks I would recommend working through TAC as well.

Again its not recommended to do vlan change for these various reasons. I provided some options that might help workaround your issues but ultimately trying to steer away from that.

What would be a better solution would be to use segementation with SGTs so that you can separate devices using tags instead of VLAN/ips

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-guest-access-prescriptive-deployment-guide/ta-p/3640475

starvoise
Level 4
Level 4

I agree, I would skip low impact mode if vlan enforcement is needed, it make little sense anyway. Closed mode moves between vlans and dhcp renew does work without issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: