Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ISE when using java scripts

770801tvdhaar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Some use cases I need to implement often requires me to implement some kind of java script. I'm fine using the scripts but I'm wary about the added complexity it adds to the environment. ISE is very difficult imo to do an upgrade/patch as I never know what the outcome is going to be.

So my question is how are these scripts handled when upgrading ISE? Do they follow with after upgrade or do they have to be restored via backup or even worse do I need to implement and test them anew?

Tyrone

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@770801tvdhaar  - you are referring to the code found in the customised ISE web portals?

You can test it on a lab VM and see what happens. Even if the normal/expected behaviour is that JS is migrated during a patch and/or upgrade, I would always test it in lab prior to production. Your paranoia is not unfounded.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@770801tvdhaar  - you are referring to the code found in the customised ISE web portals?

You can test it on a lab VM and see what happens. Even if the normal/expected behaviour is that JS is migrated during a patch and/or upgrade, I would always test it in lab prior to production. Your paranoia is not unfounded.

@Arne Bier - Yes the bits of coded people are coming up with to extend the capability of ISE way beyond what it was first thought to do.

Thanks for reassuring me so now I know at least there is one other person out there that gets my paranoia :-)

I think you're in good company here. Everyone runs into a bad piece of code now and again. All we can do to prevent egg on our face is to test as much as is humanly possible.  The rest is not up to us.

I was quite wary of writing any JQuery in my portals because I thought Apple iOS didn't like it much. Or at least, there were some occasions where PSN IP addresses had to be hard coded into the JQuery and there was no way to make stuff redundant ... that's the point where I lost interest in this hackery.

right you could do a restore of the backup in the lab and try it out as well. or do a split upgrade and validate it on the newly upgraded system
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: