cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Installation RELH 6 support to ISE 2.4

Braulio_g
Level 1
Level 1

ISE documentation for 2.4 version states that RELH 7 is recommended, my customer does not have infrastructure for 7 only 6.

im wondering if is still supported.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

my customer inventory is 

VMWare vSphere Client Version 5.5.0

VMWare ESXi Version 5.5.0   with  REHL 6

VMWare Hardware Version 8

My question is, if ISE is compatible with  RHEL 6 , or we need to upgrade to   RHEL 7 at least ? 

View solution in original post

Hi @Braulio_g 

Are you saying that you cannot choose RHEL 7 from the list of OS when you create a new VM that you want to install ISE 2.4 on?

ISE-VMARE.PNG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
When you say your customer does not have infrastructure to support RHEL 7, do you mean their VMware ESXi environment doesn't have support? VMware introduced RHEL 7 support in ESXI 5.5 which went end of support in Sept 2018.

ISE does not expose the underlying Redhat OS, so there is no managing/supporting it other than support as a VM on Windows/VMware.

i mean, the appliances are running ESXi version 5.5.0 with RHEL 6

Hi @Braulio_g 

Are you talking about installing ISE on a Linux KVM hypervisor?  I am confused, because in your last post you mentioned ESXi.

Not sure what you mean.  The ISE application itself is treated as an appliance - we don't get to chose the underlying OS (RHEL 7.x) and Cisco maintains all the yum patching via regular patches. You don't need a Redhat Satellite or maintenance etc. Cisco handles all that for you. ISE is a black box.

If you want to run ISE on Linux KVM hypervisor then check out the ISE 2.4 Installation Guide. It says KVM on RHEL 7.0 - Have you tried it on RHEL 6?  I would hope that it's a bare metal server running RHEL and not RHEL on ESXi - nested virtualisation cannot do you any good, unless it's a lab/test environment.

my customer inventory is 

VMWare vSphere Client Version 5.5.0

VMWare ESXi Version 5.5.0   with  REHL 6

VMWare Hardware Version 8

My question is, if ISE is compatible with  RHEL 6 , or we need to upgrade to   RHEL 7 at least ? 

Hi @Braulio_g 

Are you saying that you cannot choose RHEL 7 from the list of OS when you create a new VM that you want to install ISE 2.4 on?

ISE-VMARE.PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: