cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Heat Dissipation - IE4000 (4TC-4G-E)

jdsegovia
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone point me to some Cisco documentation that specifies the heat dissipation for a Cisco IE4000 (4TC-4G-E)?

5 Replies 5

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the Datasheet for the IE-4000 family gives the max heat generated based on Ambient temperature.  All heat on IE-4000 is dissipated through the heat fins on teh chassis of the IE-4000.  there's no formal document to show dissipation. 

Cisco is now going out of the way to mention that Max temperature specification on the IE-4000 depends varies based on the ventilation of the enclosure (no specific CFM listed) .  It is a big hint to encourage one to engineer a fan into the OT enclosure whenever possible.

IE-4000-Max-Temperature-Ventilation.png

Hello,

Cisco IE products are deployed in a wide variety of  geographic locations and enclosure types.  Deployment scenarios vary from very cold to very hot.  therefore guidance give by Cisco around heat dissipation and enclosure ventilation is very conservative. 

customers are encouraged to fully understand heat dissipation dynamics in any enclosure.   

the Cisco IE products never stop operating because of temperature.  the IE products will operate until they cannot anymore. they do not shut down when the temperature exceeds a certain value.  other products in the enclosure may not be engineered as well, and could fail due to over heating.

Hello Albert,

I understand your answer but it still doesn't answer the question of heat dissipation.  This number needs to be known to accurately calculate whether or not a cabinet or control panel requires a fan or air conditioner.  You say "customers are encouraged to fully understand heat dissipation dynamics in any enclosure" but we cannot understand it without these heat dissipation values.

I need heat dissipation numbers for an IE-2000-16TC-G-N & ISA-3000-2C2F-K9 so that I know if an AC unit is required for my control panel.  Does Cisco not provide these numbers anymore.  Looking around, I found numbers published from ~8 years ago for other products, but not the ones I need.

Thank you,

Ryan

Ryan,

the IE2000-16tC-G-N can consume as much as 30W.  all of this power is dissipated as heat.  you can compute BTUs for the product from this 30W.  this computes to ~102 BTU's/hr. 

the ISA-3000 consumes 24W of power.  which computes to ~81 BTU/hr.

is this what you wanted?