Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO ISE FAILS LOCAL SWITCH CREDENTIALS

AELTC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am having a little issue with our Cisco ISE setup, the issue being that for some reason cisco ISE is generating a authentication failure log from every switch we have configured.

It is failing our RADIUS-TEST user which is configured locally on the switch to test radius connectivity.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how they resolved it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In order to avoid the failed authentications, the radius-test user should ideally be a valid user from the persepctive of your ISE deployment. It can be local to ISE as long as ISE-local authentication is in your identity source sequence.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If i understand correctly Local user in switch can not communicated with ISE right ?

and you need ISE username  / Password to test again Radius test with ISE - is this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Basically when we look at our live logs, we are seeing errors for the username of our RADIUS account to test connectivity.

I am not sure if this is the local account configured or the automate-tester causing this issue?

I have also noticed when I do test aaa etc new-code we get user rejected, are the two linked?

For example we get below error in the log:

5405 RADIUS Request dropped

24412 User not found in Active Directory

However this is not an AD user it is a user configured on the access switch.

at this time not sure, we need more information and Logs, how your ISE / Switch configured.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

In order to avoid the failed authentications, the radius-test user should ideally be a valid user from the persepctive of your ISE deployment. It can be local to ISE as long as ISE-local authentication is in your identity source sequence.

Hi Marvin,

Thank you for your help.

That seemed to resolved the failed authentication issue I had to then create a authorization rule to permit it after.

I was just wondering It's great that it now passes all checks however, as we have over 100+ switches you can imagine what the logs will look like when the user is checked against constantly is there a way to stop this over populating the logs?

Kind regards

Kalid Orfally

Sure you can suppress events for that user.

We often do this when there is a load balancer in front of PSNs that send regular queries as health checks.

Here's a good blog post showing exactly how to do it:

https://thecciejourney.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/hiding-filtering-a-specific-user-from-reporting-in-cisco-ise/

...and the Admin Guide reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-6/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_26/b_ise_admin_guide_26_chapter_01011.html#ID169

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: