Views
Helpful
Replies

Conditional Rule - how do you setValue for Person type fields

Patti Richards
Level 1
Level 1
Conditional Rule - how do you setValue for Person type fields

In the old ISF world, I used to code  the following to reset a person (select) type field:

serviceForm.INT_SHAREPOINT_NEWSITE_REQUEST.SecondaryAdmin_disp.setValue(['']);

You  had to specify <dictionary>.<fieldname>_disp.setValue

the  _disp was critical.

I am trying to code the similar function  using Conditional rules. I tried the set Value action to null/blank, but  it didn't work on the person field.

Is there anyway to do this  with Conditional Rules? I hope i don't have to go back to ISF for this  one.

Please help!!

13 Replies 13

Jegannath R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richards,

I tried the same thing with conditional rules and accomplished it.  I didnt do much apart from setting the value to null. See the snapshot below.

I set the literal value empty and triggered the rule on some field click.

Jegan

Patti Richards
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks the response. I think we are on a different version of Request Center (2008.3). We have the radio button for literal and a radio button for null/blank, but neither seem to work to clear out the person field. It is on an onClick event. Probably a "defect". I'll file a case. What version of RC are you on?

Our literal option wouldn't let us submit it as empty had to put a "space" char in it, but that didn't work either.

Patti Richards
Level 1
Level 1

here's the conditional rule setting from RC2008.3

Hi Patti,

We're on 2008.3 and I'm having the same issue as you - the 'set value' option works for all field types except the person field.  I'm going to file a case for this too.

Jegannath R
Level 1
Level 1

We are in 2008.1 and do not have a specific radio for null/blank. And yes I just tried triggering a rule on click event for testing.

Patti Richards
Level 1
Level 1

Good news! We installed service pack 6 in our dev environment, and it has fixed the problem. If you look at the release notes with service pack 6- Bug ID # 26360  Customer Issue ID #11682. We just tested it out today.

Hi Ed,

Is it possible to be set to Other values; not just Null?

Thanks,

Ant

There was a reported bug regarding this behavior which has been fixed in  Service Pack 6 for newScale 2008.3. Here is the information on this  item from the release notes for that Service Pack:

Bug ID

Customer Issue ID

Resolution Summary

>Is it possible to be set to Other values; not just Null?

Hi Ant,

It sure is! The Set Value conditional rule action will allow you to set the value to a literal, to a value in another field, or to Null/Empty/Blank.

Hi Ed,

When one is setting a Person type field to a value using Conditional rules; how does one map it to the Person object in the RequestCenter database?

Thanks,

Ant

Thanks Leslie; that'd explain it - we're on 2008.1, and using legacy Dictionaries that aren't Person-based.

Will keep that mind moving forward.

Thanks again,

Ant

You need to copy a PersonID to the person_search field in a person based dictionary. That will trigger the pre-fill of other fields in the dictionary, based on that personID. This works in versions 2008.2 and above.

gary dzurny
Level 1
Level 1

does this approach stil work with the latest version of newScale?  I am copying a supervisorID to this field via a conditional rule in hopes it would populate the rest of the person based dictionary information and it does not seem to work.