cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Login failed for user 'TES'

Sanket.Desai
Level 1
Level 1

We've upgraded TES 5.3.1 to TES 6.2.1 SP3 instance in our development environment for testing purposes.

We keep receiving the following error:

exception:com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException

reason:Login failed for user 'TES'.

description:Login failed for user 'TES'.

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError [SQLServerException.java 197]

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF [tdsparser.java 246]

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSParser.parse [tdsparser.java 83]

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon [SQLServerConnection.java 2529]

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon [SQLServerConnection.java 1905]

=> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$000 [SQLServerConnection.java 41]

We've been working with Cisco support for quite some time now but they've not been able to help us so far. They've collected logs from Wire Shark for communication between LDAP and the client manager. It didn't help them so far.

We've team members using the TES web client to perform testing and they keep receiving this error.

We've ensured that the master and the client manager machine configurations are per Cisco's recommendation (medium configuration):

Master: Memory = 16GB, CPU Cores = 8

Client Manager : Memory = 24GB, Cores = 16

Has someone experienced this issue before?

17 Replies 17

Tim Lazarus
Level 1
Level 1

Unless I am missing something, LDAP doesn't come into play here. The TES user is used for communication with the cache database. I'd verify that the user exists on your SQL server, that the password is correct, etc.

Yes that's correct. We've also changed the password in SQL Server and updated in the TES properties file (per Cisco's suggestion).

We did this per Cisco's recommendation to rule out any issues with password issue.

Could there be a caching issue in database of some sort?

When the error happens, what do you see on the SQL Server side? Specifically, the error logs (assuming you are doing failed login auditing). Another thing to try is to run a trace in SQL and try and capture the error. This would give you more insight into what is happening on the database server when the error occurs. While it is certainly possible that Tidal is somehow causing the problem, that error message doesn't tell you much other than that the login is failing to SQL, so I'd start there. 

We checked the database log for failed logins and we only see the failed login on Sundays when the database is down.

I got the error few minutes back but we don't see it in the database log. We tried logging in the database with TES user and corresponding password and had no issues.

I'm attaching the log file from Client Manager for examination.

The error of 'TES Login failed' appears in the client manager log but not in the SQL server audit log.

Can you confirm if you are connecting to the database using Windows authentication or SQL authentication ?

If windows authentication, do you have multiple AD domains involved ?

From the log entries, I suspect TES is an SQL user but trying to authenticate using Windows(Active Directory) authentication

We connect to SQL server using SQL authentication. We've created a user called TES in the SQL server and updated the encrypted password in the file per Cisco's recommendation.

>> From the log entries, I suspect TES is an SQL user but trying to authenticate using Windows(Active Directory) authentication

How would I find out if this is the case? What file will show me the settings?

Since this is your development environment, can you try without encryption first and then try with encryption ?

You mean put in the password for TES (SQL user) in the properties file without encryption?

If TES expects encrypted password, will it not fail?

Yes, if there is a mismatch, it will fail. that's what i was suspecting. to check that ...

Are you able to create an MSSQL connection and connect to the same database from TES ?

Assume you have increased the log level of the MS SQL adapter to see if there are any additional details of the error

Cisco support helped us in identifying the issue. I think we're good for now.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Hi Sanket,

Good to hear that the problem got resolved. Would you be so kind to your fellow TES members by sharing how the issue got resolved? It would certainly help us (myself included) understand the problem and deal with it if we encounter this scenario.

Thanks,

Derrick Au

Cisco recommended that we take TESCache database out of HA. This resolved the issue.

That's interesting.

If TESCache is not on HA, then I would assume whole of TES can't be deemed as highly available ? and TESCache becomes a single point of failure for your TES instance, isn't it ?

I'd also ask your DBA to run a trace when this is happening... It would be ideal if the communication between the SQL Server and Client Manager could be captured in a profiler trace. You would get a lot more information about what SQL Server was seeing.