cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Password Length

Cale Montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all -- this is my first question, and I was not able to see a resolution to this one.

We have new requirements regarding our Windows login passwords that sets a minimum length of 15 positions, and we're authenticating our Tidal logins against these credentials.  But Tidal doesn't seem to like this length and refuses to authenticate properly.  Can anyone tell me the limits that Tidal has regarding passwords?

We are using the Web Client version 6.2.1.38 on Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1

Ah -- and because this question will likely come up... no, I do not have any control over our Windows password requirements.  Sorry about that.  If needed, I can provide the errors we're receiving, but I do not have them on hand at the moment.  Mostly I'm just trying to find out what Tidal has for password limits/requirements.

4 Replies 4

It would be easier if you can share any error messages you see

*** Error logging into runtime user {username} - job {job number}

This came out of our testing of the long password requirements.  Do you have the Tidal password limitations documented?

I don't remember anything documented. 

Logically, it should have the same width as the usrmst_password column of the usrmst table within Admiral database

Have you tested the scenario with both runtime user and interactive users ?

"Logically, it should have the same width as the usrmst_password column of the usrmst table within Admiral database"

I will check with one of our DBAs to verify the width of this column.  Thank you.

"Have you tested the scenario with both runtime user and interactive users ?"

I have not.  Interactive users pull password information straight from Active Directory.  Runtime users carry their own password fields, and these are the fields that I am questioning.

I can say that we initially tested this against a 30 character password, but have been experimenting with reducing the length by steps.  I don't have authority to make password changes on service accounts, and a space was apparently introduced around the time we reduced to 15 characters.  This may be a problem with Tidal -- which is a question that can be added to this inquiry, I suppose:  What password characters will Tidal consider to be invalid?

I've been reading through what documentation I can find online.  Unfortunately, while it tells me the encryption strength of stored passwords, I've yet to learn what requirements Tidal applies to them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: