Views
Helpful
Replies

Privileges to Start / Stop / Pause Tidal Master

miguel.aliaga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Please your advise on what's the minimum level of privilege in a Windows environment that a user account needs to have to be able to Stop/Start/Pause the Tidal Master.

We think we should belong to the Administrators group to be able to action the above.

Our Security team has raised concerns on we getting to much access into that box if we get Admin rights.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

I agree that Administrators would have the necessary privileges.  You may want to check the Installation Guide to see if it provides specific rights.

If your security team has concerns, they or your Windows admins should be able to tell you what rights are necessary to stop/start a Windows service (which is all the master is, after all).

You could work with the system administrators to grant all the appropriate privileges to stop/start services using an MMC snap-in  We do that with our operations team... they can stop/start tidal services (master/agent) but they can't logon to the servers themselves. System Admins have tools for setting this up. You could also add runtime users and possibly automate.

however, if I am responsible for Tidal Administration and application, I would want to be able to logon to the infrastructure that runs the master (or agents) it just makes sense from a troubleshooting perspective to have local access.(App logs, System Log, Event logs, etc.). But responsibilities and roles vary from company to company.

I wasn't sure if you meant manually (above) or automated but we do some autmation of shutdown for maintenance using Tidal jobs for maintenance weekends like MS patches (using a combination of powershell and api jobs)

Marc

Hi Marc,

This sounds very interesting, I'll engage one of the System Admins to follow up.

I meant manually however now that you mentioned automation, in effect we do have MS server patching maintenance very frequent during weekends, is there any possibility you can flick me a job template with powershell jobs and API's to automate the process of Stop and Start Tidal Agents and Master?

Thanks.

Miguel Aliaga

Lead Data Analyst | Data Management | IT & Operations | Lloyds International

E: Miguel.Aliaga@lloydsinternational.com.au<:MAILTO:MIGUEL.ALIAGA>