cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tidal job exit codes

Bruce Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for Tidal to look for specific exit codes instead of a range.  I have a job where exit codes 0 5,6,7 are good anything would be considered abnormal.  Is there a way to have tidal only look for 0,5,6,7?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marc Clasby
Level 1
Level 1

There's almost always a way

We use powershell quite a bit and force different exit codes...and different actions

I would leave the standard (zero) and create an additional event action to handle exits of 5,6, and 7

1. Create Job Event with a Trigger of 'Job Completed with specific exit code(s)'
  2. On the Exit Codes tab set the range = 5 to 7
  3. On the Associated Action(s) tab scroll all the way to the bottom for the built in Tidal Actions
  4. Select Set To Completed Normally
  5. Attach to job

You could test behavior to make sure it meets your needs with a test job

Command

POWERSHELL

Parameters

Write-host Exit code 5; Exit(5)

Rinse / Repeat with other exit codes

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Bruce,

If you're running a script, you can hardcode/echo 0, 5, 6, 7 and set them to 0 for completed normally, and everything else as abnormal. Or you can hardcode/echo (0 | 5 | 6 | 7) along with a complete normally identifier, for example, exit code: 7 [cpnrm]+[defintion of exit code 7]. This way, you can scan output: normal string "cpnrm"

BR,

Derrick Au

Derrick,

Thanks for the information,  they are not running scripts,  the group doing this is using a microfocus serfer to emmulate a mainframe system using jcl, etc,  and they have toose conditions in their jcl.  All I will get back from that server is the last condition code from the job.

Steve Atwood
Level 1
Level 1

I just opened a ticket with that question a couple of weeks ago.

Answer: Tidal cannot do it...they did submit an "enhancement" request....not sure how that process works, or if it will ever make it into the product.

Steve,

Thanks,  I thought that was going to be the case.  I have a group using Tidal to submit jobs to a microfocus server, to emulate a mainframe system on a Unix server,  and they have these condition codes in their jcl.

The enhancement request from my past experience they will usually work on something like that, but only if enough customers send in requests asking for that type of enhancement,  so I think I will shoot them one to, who knows it might help.

Marc Clasby
Level 1
Level 1

There's almost always a way

We use powershell quite a bit and force different exit codes...and different actions

I would leave the standard (zero) and create an additional event action to handle exits of 5,6, and 7

1. Create Job Event with a Trigger of 'Job Completed with specific exit code(s)'
  2. On the Exit Codes tab set the range = 5 to 7
  3. On the Associated Action(s) tab scroll all the way to the bottom for the built in Tidal Actions
  4. Select Set To Completed Normally
  5. Attach to job

You could test behavior to make sure it meets your needs with a test job

Command

POWERSHELL

Parameters

Write-host Exit code 5; Exit(5)

Rinse / Repeat with other exit codes

Marc,

Thanks for that information,  that is what I had brainstormed as a solution,  and we are going to try it with one of the jobs.  I think  likely that will be the work around for us.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: