Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM Target Fail

rruckley
Level 1
Level 1

Automites,

I'm trying to add a UCSM target into our development CPO server but am having issues as you can see in this screenshot. I've double checked  both systems and everyone is using the same timezone and has the same time. The only thing I can think of is the account I'm authenticating to UCSM with is read-only currently and perhaps that's restricting what CPO is trying to do to validate the timezone?

Does anyone have any clues on this?

Ryan (aka Automation Man)

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Xu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,

I have tested UCS account with read-only access, and I can define a UCS target properly.

Usually there are 2 possibilities for the error.

1. Timezone specified in a UCS target is different from the timezone defined in UCS Manager.

2. Time difference between PO server and UCS Manager is more than 10 minutes.

I know you have checked both settings, but it would be better if you  can take a screenshot that shows both PO server's timezone / time and UCS Manager timezone / time.

Thanks,

David

View solution in original post

Hi, Ryan!

When CIAC creates the UCS target through the Portal, it has to go through CPO's Northbound Web Service. Unfortunately, in CPO 2.3 there is no way to "validate" the targets created through NBWS (to ensure connection is actually possible

using the specified host/port/timezone combination), and the targets can be created invalid.

The CPO console, on the other hand, does validate the target's configuration and therefore you are seeing the error when using the UI.

Thanks,

Svetlana

Hi, Ryan,

UCS Manager stores data in local time. To convert its data's timestamp into UTC time properly, UCSM target definition requires UCS Manager's timezone setting. Timezone validation is only done when creating a target. Once a UCSM target is created, it uses the target's runtime user and password to execute UCS adapter activities.

As Svetlana pointed out, 2.3 target created through portal cannot be validated. Therefore, even if an incorrect timezone is specified, a target can still be created via PO's northbound web service. If the target's runtime user name and password are correct, the adapter can execute UCS adapter activities properly. The only issue is that UCS Manager data's timestamp will be converted incorrectly, so UCSM fault trigger will have an incorrect timestamp.

I would recommend updating the UCS target's timezone to fix the timestamp conversion issue. If it fails to take a correct timezone, please take a screenshot that shows both PO server's timezone / time and UCS Manager timezone / time setting. UCS Manager timezone setting is available at Timezone node under Admin tab in UCS Manager Console.

Thanks,

David

5 Replies 5

David Xu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,

I have tested UCS account with read-only access, and I can define a UCS target properly.

Usually there are 2 possibilities for the error.

1. Timezone specified in a UCS target is different from the timezone defined in UCS Manager.

2. Time difference between PO server and UCS Manager is more than 10 minutes.

I know you have checked both settings, but it would be better if you  can take a screenshot that shows both PO server's timezone / time and UCS Manager timezone / time.

Thanks,

David

David,

Interesting thing here was that using the CSP I was able to createa a UCSM target but cannot change it via CPO as it still generates this error. Mervyn in Australia seemed to think it was a known issue but that I should check out the time zones.

I will investigate further but I will probably update my environment to 3.1.1 before I get too worried (only on 3.0).

Ryan

Hi, Ryan!

When CIAC creates the UCS target through the Portal, it has to go through CPO's Northbound Web Service. Unfortunately, in CPO 2.3 there is no way to "validate" the targets created through NBWS (to ensure connection is actually possible

using the specified host/port/timezone combination), and the targets can be created invalid.

The CPO console, on the other hand, does validate the target's configuration and therefore you are seeing the error when using the UI.

Thanks,

Svetlana

Svetlana,

Thank you for the clarification. I've looked into the scheduled tasks for UCSM and they seem to be operating normally now that a target exists. I'm not sure what impact a misconfigured timezone will have on them?

I will investigate further to see what I can find out about the timezones as I couldn't see any difference initially.

Ryan

Hi, Ryan,

UCS Manager stores data in local time. To convert its data's timestamp into UTC time properly, UCSM target definition requires UCS Manager's timezone setting. Timezone validation is only done when creating a target. Once a UCSM target is created, it uses the target's runtime user and password to execute UCS adapter activities.

As Svetlana pointed out, 2.3 target created through portal cannot be validated. Therefore, even if an incorrect timezone is specified, a target can still be created via PO's northbound web service. If the target's runtime user name and password are correct, the adapter can execute UCS adapter activities properly. The only issue is that UCS Manager data's timestamp will be converted incorrectly, so UCSM fault trigger will have an incorrect timestamp.

I would recommend updating the UCS target's timezone to fix the timestamp conversion issue. If it fails to take a correct timezone, please take a screenshot that shows both PO server's timezone / time and UCS Manager timezone / time setting. UCS Manager timezone setting is available at Timezone node under Admin tab in UCS Manager Console.

Thanks,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: