Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Undo Functionality

Undo Functionality

I would like to propose as a feature request an "Undo" function for certain request center functions that have the potential to cause a lot of rework in the event that either the development environment goes out to lunch or the developer hits the wrong button.  Request Center is a very unforgiving environment.  Specifically:

1.  The Plan tab in Service Designer.  I have experienced on more than one occasion while deleting a single task, (especially if concurrent), the deletion of a series of tasks which has caused me hours of rework.  There should be some type of undo functionality for this tab to minimize the effects of developer or program error.

2.  In Active Form components, in the "Form Content" tab, I would recommend a redesign because I have (and I am sure others have as well) deleted a form when we really just wanted to delete a dictionary from the form.  An undo function in this case would also save people from errors of clicking the wrong button.  At a minimum, the form deletion button should be removed from this screen as it is a very destructive operation with no recovery.  Removing a dictionary from a form can also be destructive and cause many hours of rework, I would also like to see an undo functionality built in for that operation as well.

3.  Basically, any operation that causes a destructive change in the service should have an undo functionality.  Everyone makes mistakes and the programming environment as well sometimes causes unrecoverable errors.  Undo functions, even if only one step would be great productivity enhancements and reduce developer frustration. 

4 Replies 4

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jim,

RequestCenter has always been the type of environment that all you have to do is ask and it will go through the action.  Click go and it goes, click done and it's done.  An undo feature like this would be significant work.  You would need to maintain audit information to allow for an undo.  I think your suggestion is right on point, but it's execution may be difficult to attain.

Do you think a reminder prompt prior to deletion of the task, form or dictionary would be enough?  Somethin

Emir E
Level 1
Level 1

how about your DBA to roll back the transactions? Or is that not an option?

James,

Short of an undo function, a secondary prompt with consequences noted is a good alternative, but I do believe that programs should offer some degree of protection of the user from themselves.  An errant mouse click can wipe out hours of work and in some cases, creativity - and everyone that has used this tool has probably made a mistake that they really wish they could have recovered from.   

Your starting thread on auditability is a concern.  Depending upon the business risk of the se

David Abbishaw
Level 1
Level 1

An undo feature is a great idea for Service Designer,  Ive lost count of the amount time Ive lost to recreate/fix a plan when RC goofs up a delete,add or move.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: