Views
Helpful
Replies

VCenter discovery works only for Resource Pools

otavio.augusto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

At step 3 of configuration wizard, I see a problem at the Discover Infrastructure process:

when trying to find the vCenter resources (Datastores, ResourcePools, Portgroups, etc ...) only the task for discovering ResourcePools succeed. All the others fail. The status log for one of the failures follows (I decided not to paste the whole status log because the messages for each failure are pretty much the same):

=== Starting vCenter Discovery ===

=== Starting Discovery for Platform Element: 10.0.4.135

Discover Infrastructure -> vCenter Datastores failed

Reason for failure:

Error Information

=================

Category: NotSpecified

ID: Client20_ConnectivityServiceImpl_Reconnect_Exception,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ConnectVIServer

Type: VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.ErrorHandling.InvalidLogin

Message: 2/28/2013 10:01:12 AM          Connect-VIServer                    Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

Connect-VIServer : 2/28/2013 10:01:12 AM    Connect-VIServer        Cannot comp

lete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

At C:\Windows\Temp\PO_WorkingDir_15c278b0-3f49-49ee-a1c2-994183e147d7\PO_PSScri

pt_15c278b0-3f49-49ee-a1c2-994183e147d7.ps1:21 char:17

+ Connect-VIServer <<<<  -Server $vCenterAddress -Port $vCenterPort -Protocol $

vCenterProtocol -User $vCenterUsername -Password $vCenterPassword -WarningActio

n SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Connect-VIServer], InvalidLog

in

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_ConnectivityServiceImpl_Reconnect_Excep

tion,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ConnectVIServer

Discover Infrastructure -> vCenter Datacenters failed

Reason for failure:

=================

Considering that credentials, targets and all other input for the task that succeeds are the same for the ones that fail, what am I missing?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeobrien427
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to also check the Extended Target Properties of the vCenter Target and make sure that vSphere.PowerCLI.User and vSphere.PowerCLI.Password are set properly.  These are separate from the Runtime User Credentials as they are used when Discovery needs to call PowerCLI.  They also generally take the form of domain\user for username.  You can easily test these credentials by attempting to log in to the vClient with them.  I would also check that this account has the proper permission set up in order to perform the discovery, as Lee suggested.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lee Calcote
Level 3
Level 3

What role and permissions does your vCenter user account have?

Lee

As the admin is not here right now, I'll ask him as soon as he's back. But I can say the following:

- I asked him to create a user that could at least read such information and I know that user can actually do it in vsphere;

- Logged in with that user In vsphere powerCLI (a requirement for the machine where orchestrator is installed), I successfully issue commands that retrieve datastores, portgroups and other resources that fail in orchestrator - and even the only one that succeeds (ResourcePools).

Regards

jeobrien427
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to also check the Extended Target Properties of the vCenter Target and make sure that vSphere.PowerCLI.User and vSphere.PowerCLI.Password are set properly.  These are separate from the Runtime User Credentials as they are used when Discovery needs to call PowerCLI.  They also generally take the form of domain\user for username.  You can easily test these credentials by attempting to log in to the vClient with them.  I would also check that this account has the proper permission set up in order to perform the discovery, as Lee suggested.

That was it. I had to update the values for vSphere.PowerCLI.User and de vSphere.PowerCLI.Password. They were empty.

Thanks for the support.

I've openned another thread in the forum related to the issue of not being able to move to step 4 in the configuration wizard. I thought it was related to this vcenter issue but the "step 4" problem remains. I'd appreciate any support on this as well.

Thanks a lot for your help here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: