Views
Helpful
Replies

Why do all VMs get 2 NICs?

samerg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

in my CIAC 3.1.1 setup all my provisioned VMs get two network interfaces, one in the mgmt network and one in the user network. Why is that? I think I'm missing something here ... I would think they get a NIC in one network only.

Regards,

Sascha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lee Calcote
Level 3
Level 3

Sascha, this behavior is driven by the presence or absence of a management network being adjoined to the user network in which the VM is provisioned. Which is to say that if you desire for the VM to have a single NIC, either remove the management network from the given user network or elect to provision the VM into a user network with no associated management network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lee Calcote
Level 3
Level 3

Sascha, this behavior is driven by the presence or absence of a management network being adjoined to the user network in which the VM is provisioned. Which is to say that if you desire for the VM to have a single NIC, either remove the management network from the given user network or elect to provision the VM into a user network with no associated management network.

Ah ok, I thought the Management Network was mandatory per VDC, but now I see that I can order a VDC without specifying such a network.

How can I remove a Management Network from an existing VDC?

Thanks,
Sascha

In IAC 3.1.1, once a management network has been joined to a user network (on VDC creation), the two networks are fused. You may remove the management network indirectly by removing the user network from the VDC. A little surgery is required to cut the bond between the two networks and may be done (unsupported) via the tables found under the IPManagement folder in Service Item Manager.

Hi Lee,

thanks for your help on this. I solved this now by removeing the VDC and re-creating it. I did not have too many VMs yet, only test stuff, so that was ok.

Best regards,

Sascha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: