cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIP-SSM card not processing events from ASA

snowmizer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up the AIP-SSM-10 card in my ASA 5510 at my DR site. I have setup the inspection policy and ACLs to redirect traffic to the AIP-SSM from my ASA. When I do a show access-list my hit count is growing. This tells me that my ASA is sending events. After this I also ran "setup" on my AIP-SSM and set it up for monitoring. Everything matches the setup of my IPS module in my ASA at our home office (which is working fine).

Everything appeared to be good....I can login and manage the module. However, when I look at the sensor health it shows critical because the "event retrieval" shows that no events have been retrieved from my ASA. When I look in "monitoring" on my IPS module there aren't any events listed that would pertain to actual alerts from the IPS. The only thing listed are errors from before I got stuff set up on the module.

When I run "show statistics event-server" it says "event-server disabled". I have a feeling this has something to do with my issue. What am I missing to get my IPS module to start processing events?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Aastha Chaudhary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The event retrieval metric keeps track of when the last event was retrieved by an external monitoring application such as IME. As far as the event retrieval status showing RED is concerned, this simply means that no outside software has been configured to pull events off of the sensor for archiving purposes.To correct this either you can disable event retrieval policy if you are not doing external event monitoring or you'll need to configure such software.  While there are 3rd party offerings to retrieve events using the SDEE protocol, Cisco offers a free product for small deployments called IPS Manager Express or just "IME":

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282052550&catid=268438162&softwareid=282829584

(grab the 7.1.1 version)

You'll want to install this software on a dedicated machine that's never shut off and has network connectivity to the sensor management IP.  When you launch the application you'll need to add the sensor (which just involves defining some basic parameters like IP/user/pass) and then the IME software will begin retrieving events from the sensor. Once the IME software successfully connects, the alert you're seeing on the sensor should go away. The IME software has a help option in the menu containing the documentation on how to use it.You can also reference the following documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/6.1/configuration/guide/ime/imeguide.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Aastha

We were able to get this resolved. We modified the ACLs allowing traffic out of our firewall and then we weren't seeing any events. Turns out that everything was working properly. The problem was that we aren't seeing as many attacks come into our DR firewall as we are our production firewall because our ISP filters traffic.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for your response. Glad to know that the issue is resolved

Cheers,
Aastha

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card