Views
Helpful
Replies

AMP public cloud VS appliance

Antonio Macia
Level 3
Level 3

Hello there,

What are the main differences (restrictions) between using the public AMP cloud and the private cloud based on appliances like for example the AMP7150-K9? The question is more related to functionality than performance which I now is less using local appliances.

The same question goes for the Threat Grid local appliances. Differences between on-premises and cloud?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The private appliance does not have the extensive history of malware that the cloud has.

The cloud versions will detect a lot more malware because of this history.

I understand this limitation but I would like to find any official documentation comparing both solutions showing this and another limitations. Do you know of any? 

I've read the "Cisco Next-Generation Security Solutions" book and although they mention limitations on the type of the endpoint connector that the private cloud can support, they don't mention any restriction about malware detection.

Regards.

The malware appliance (and sandbox appliance) were created only for those customers that have no connection to the Internet at all (think of a completely private secure network).  The vast majority of users should not be considering the use of the appliances.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card