Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not add IPS devices to IME 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3 or 7.1.1

ConfederacionHJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

On a new XP SP3 machine with Java 1.6.0.27, I can not add any IPS devices (AIP-SSM-20). I can log in on them with ssh or ASDM.

I always get this error:

"Error response from IME Server - IOException: Read Time Out. IME IME Server is not responding. Please check if it is running"

IME Server service is running (IMEServer.exe and IMEJava.exe process are running on the PC). Trying to restart services it hungs on "Stoping" ... have to kill both process with taskkill and then, restart the Cisco IPS Manager Express service. MySQL-IME servies is up and running

I tried with IME 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3 and 7.1.1 with same result.

NO firewall on PC, full access allowed on ASA, PC-ASA-IPS are on the same subnet/VLAN

Tried to re-create the IPS certificates, same error.

On Java properties, Direct Connection option on Network configuration is selected.

Any idea what's wrong or what I can try to get IME working?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Dustin Ralich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In most cases I have encountered exhibiting this behavior, IME is being affected (denied/blocked/conflicting/stopped/etc.) by a HIPS software product installed on the system. If you are able to identify such a product, then try temporarily disabling/removing it and testing again. Some antivirus products can cause this type of behavior as well (including some level of basic HIPS functionality), so you may find that to be the culprit.

If you are unable to identify the cause, test on a clean OS install (not an existing pre-made image or IT-created image that includes modifications/domain membership/packages/etc.); a completely clean OS install with IME 7.1.1.

Solved it!

Thanks anyway.

My problem was caused by a integrated instalation of Windows XP SP3 from HP.

I installed the same CD but with only SP2, instaled IMEI and all worked fine. Then upgraded to SP3 and everithing still worked fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card