cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FirePOWER, Do i need a management server.

Mark.Smith1969
Level 1
Level 1

Soory simple question but i can't find an answer. I have never worked with an ASA with FirePOWER before so not sure what you get. 

It it possible to manage FirePOWERfeatures without installing the management server appliance?

Thanks

Mark.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends.

Originally only the 5506, 5508 and 5516-X appliances with FirePOWER 5.4+ could be managed strictly with ASDM. FirePOWER 6.0 extended that capability to all the ASA appliances as long as you had the right releases of FirePOWER software and associated ASA / ASDM software.

However you still have some limitations - reporting, event storage, some advanced configuration options etc. are all lacking when using ASDM. All the basics are there but it's frustrating to run into one of those limitations when the small management VM (2 device license) is only US$500 list price (net price usually less).

Also, if you manage anything beyond a single ASA with FirePOWER you usually want the FirePOWER Management Center so you can create one policy (or set of policies) and deploy to all your modules.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends.

Originally only the 5506, 5508 and 5516-X appliances with FirePOWER 5.4+ could be managed strictly with ASDM. FirePOWER 6.0 extended that capability to all the ASA appliances as long as you had the right releases of FirePOWER software and associated ASA / ASDM software.

However you still have some limitations - reporting, event storage, some advanced configuration options etc. are all lacking when using ASDM. All the basics are there but it's frustrating to run into one of those limitations when the small management VM (2 device license) is only US$500 list price (net price usually less).

Also, if you manage anything beyond a single ASA with FirePOWER you usually want the FirePOWER Management Center so you can create one policy (or set of policies) and deploy to all your modules.

Thanks Mavin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: