cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure IPS 4240 - K9 to send log file to syslog server

alialhinai2008
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for the commands in how to configure IPS 4240-k9 to send log file to SYSLOG server. If anybody has or came across similer issue please advice.

Thanks in advanced.

3 Replies 3

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

Ali -

I am sorry to tell you, but the Cisco IPS Sensors do not send Syslog messages. Your only options for sending signature event information are:

SDEE (an TLS Encrypted XML formatted message) the sensor is the SDEE Host and your event receiver (MARS, IME, Intelitactics, etc) is the client.

SNMP Traps - You need to set the "Action" on each signature you want the sensor to send a trap.

- Bob

Syslog uses UDP. SDEE uses TCP. 

Use IME for Mars for event retrieval of IPS.

Otherwise, you can use a SDEE server. 

Please check my document for further information: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12515 

- Sid

alialhinai2008
Level 1
Level 1

I am running kiwi syslog server which recive the log from the devices which kiwi syslog server IP has been configured in. Since IPS is not supporting syslog and Kiwi is not supporting SDEE protocol, I am looking for SDEE serever which i can configure it to recive the IDS logs and send it kiwi syslog

Your support highly apprecaited,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card