cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS 4.1 support in VMS 2.2

scollinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Has anyone added new sensors 4.1 to VMS 2.2?

I have been trying to add 4.1 Sensors to VMS 2.2.

I find the auto method fails with an error that Sensor version is not supported, with information suggesting a upgrade the Sensor, which I have done to S91.

You can add the sensor manually but the drop down list does not include any 4.1 versions, latest is 4.0xx in my list. If you use 4.0xx you then can not run things such as signature updates because the MC checks versions before applying updates to sensors.

I checked out Cisco Release Notes and IDS MC 1.2 supports 4.1 supposidly. I have also added latest IDS MC 1.2.3 patch.

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The IDS MC must be updated to the corresponding release version on your sensor before importing/adding your sensor.

If your sensor is at version 4.1(4)S91 the IDS MC will first have to be updated itself with the IDS-K9-sp-4.1-4-S91.zip IDS MC update file.

If your sensor is at the latest signature update version 4.1(4)S130 then the IDS MC will first have to be updated itself with the IDS-sig-4.1-4-S130.zip IDS MC update file.

So determine your sensor version, then update the IDS MC with the corresponding update to match your sensor version. Then you should be able to import/add your sensor.

The IDS MC updates corresponding to the sensor versions are located here on CCO:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/mgmt-ctr-ids

You will need to search through the links under:

IDS Sensor Updates -Version 4.X

If you are running an older sensor version you may need to access the "Archive" links in that section to find the corresponding IDS MC update file.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card