cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IME login

joedansereau
Level 1
Level 1

is there a way to set the IME to login on a per user basis?

I have designated users that are to only have log viewing access. The IME login seems to be global. If I want to configure the IPS (4240), I have to login with the IDM. Is there some way to configure the IME to require login without having to recreate the device info?

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IME is not designed as a multi-user system.

It is intended to have 1 IME installation per user, and so only a single login username is used by IME to connect to and manage the sensor.

IME is designed do those small installations of only a few sensors and is targeted at SMB markets rather than Enteprise markets.

Alternatives to consider:

1) Setup IME to use a "viewer" account to connect to the sensor. Alerts will be able to be monitored, but IME won't be able to configure the sensor. So all users could use the same IME installation for viewing the alerts.

Those specific User's needing to configure the sensor would connect in through IDM for configuration.

2) Have each user install their own IME on their laptop/desktop. This wau each user would have to configure IME to connect to the sensors with whatever userid has been set up for them. So one person might have a userid with admin role and be able to both monitor and configure. While another person might have a userid with only viewer role, and in their IME they can only view the alerts.

3) Or maybe consider just 2 installation of IME. One with admin userid so both monitoring and configuring could be done. This box would be limited to only users who are allowed to configure the sensor.

The other IME box would be setup with a viewer userid. This other IME box would be setup to allow your users who only need viewer access.

4) The 4th option is to purchase management tools that are designed for multi-user environments. CS-MARS and CSM would be good candidates here.

They are designed for the enterprise environment with users having different roles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card