Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact on IPS - Virutal Firesight Sizing

XLG
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

For IPS Only purposes or in a NGFW, why should I use "FS-VMW-SW-K9" (for 25 devices) over "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9" (for 2) ?

Let's say it's for one appliance deployed (FP7030 / FP7110) with an IPS licence only.

I'm told that for IPS it's better to use this SKU "FS-VMW-SW-K9" because depending on the number of nodes "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9" wouldn't be enough.

Could you also please confirm to me what is exaclty a node? Are they the number of points scanned?

Thank you very much for your clarifications.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome.

Your understanding is correct. The FMC has exactly the same technical capabilities. The only difference is the number of sensors you are licensed to manage.

I can't say why somebody would advise you to buy the larger license when you only are managing a single sensor or two. Perhaps they aren't well-versed in the product.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2 vs. 25 (vs 10) licensing tiers for a virtual Firepower Management Center (FMC) refer to the managed sensors.  A sensor can be a classic Firepower appliance (physical or virtual), ASA Firepower service module or FTD device.

Thank you,

If I understand properly, there is then absolutely no use of purchasing FS-VMW-SW-K9 (25) if you buy only one of a Firepower appliance even if you use it only as IPS sensor?

My guess is the AM who gave me that information is trying to upsell.

You're welcome.

Your understanding is correct. The FMC has exactly the same technical capabilities. The only difference is the number of sensors you are licensed to manage.

I can't say why somebody would advise you to buy the larger license when you only are managing a single sensor or two. Perhaps they aren't well-versed in the product.

Thank you very much Marvin, I really appreciate you've taken the time to give me the answer I was looking for.

Regards,

XLG

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card