Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS 7.0(5a)E4 SERVICE PACK

Pavel Pokorny
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I would like to ask you about experience with this SP.

There are no release notes, just readme.

Actually I am running 7.0.5.E4, which is not recommended as upgrade start point (from readme).

Does anyone has more info about this release?

Regards

Pavel

2 Replies 2

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The difference between 7.0(5) and 7.0(5a) is just which Signature Update is included.

7.0(5) included S558

7.0(5a) included S549

The reason for including a lower signature update in 7.0(5a) is because of an issue that happened in the S550 Signature Update.

There was a change to default signatures which could cause issues in configuration.

The Signature Update installations could handle the problem and allow users to correct the issue.

The Service Pack installation, however, is not able to detect the problem and could lead to a larger problem.

So in order to prevent a Service Pack from encountering the issue we re-issued the 7.0(5) Service Pack as a 7.0(5a) Service Pack and put in a Signature level prior to the one that could cause the situation.

Both 7.0(5) and 7.0(5a) have all of the same other files on the sensor.

And if you upgrade 7.0(5) and 7.0(5a) to S567 or higher, then both versions are fully equivalent.

The only difference between the 2 was in the Sig level, and so by applying S567 they are now at the same Sig Level.

The issue with the Signature Update will only affect a few rare customers.

There is a specific signature that if tuned could cause a configuration issue.  (You can look in the Readme to see which signature it was, I can't remember right now).

If you did NOT configure this signature, then both 7.0(5) and 7.0(5a) work just fine.

If you've loaded 7.0(5) and it is working, then you don't have to worry about needing to install 7.0(5a), you won't have the issue.

If you have not installed 70(5), then go ahead and use 7.0(5a) so you won't hit the issue.

Thanks a lot for clearing.

I run 7.0.5 with sig update 572, so I am going to delete prepared upgrade to 7.0.5a ;-).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card